Laptop screen going black randomly.

Anonymous
2021-02-24T06:36:07+00:00

My laptop screen is going black randomly but it stays on and the only way I can fix that is by a hard reset. I've noticed that when my pc is very loaded (for example a heavy game like Fortnite/GTAV) no problem happens, but when I do a simple task like browsing the web it freezes. Hope that was clear enough.

!UPDATE: I managed to fix the issue! Turns out it wasn't a display/gpu/driver problem - it was a  cpu problem. I was looking at my usage % at task manager and then I realised that my cpu was running at a too high clock speed. The base speed should've been 2.90 ghz and boost clock should've been 4.20 ghz. But instead what happened was that my CPU was running from 3.4 ghz to 4.25 ghz on idle on desktop, and when I do something like browsing the web it goes to a frequency it cannot handle so it crashes. The way I fixed it was by turning "Power Saver" option in power options (in control panel).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-02T19:26:06+00:00

The random black screen and freezing issue has been solved by others by updating SSD firmware, or a BIOS update so check for those now on their manufacturer's web site.

Other possible fixes to try here:

Troubleshoot freezing Issues with your computer - Your Windows Guide

https://windowsreport.com/windows-8-freezes-sol... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenan...

https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/fix...

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-goes...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/gef...

How to fix black screen problems on Windows 10 | Windows Central

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windo...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/61562...

How to Fix a Black Screen After Updating Windows 10

Fix: Windows 10 Black Screen problems (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors - Windows Help

How to fix a black screen with cursor in Windows 10 (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

Fix: Black Screen with Cursor Windows 10 - Appuals.com (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw2pX9Umb3Y

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-27T20:34:29+00:00

    We can't just ignore that the best hard drive test SeaTools doesn't even see your hard drive/SSD. Test the hard drive or SSD with other diagnostics:

    https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testin...

    https://mashtips.com/ssd-health-test-and-perfor...

    HP and Dell have hardware diagnostics triggered by tapping the ESC or F12 keys respectively as you power on.

    Best is to use the HDD/SSD manufacturer's own if there is one, otherwise use Seatools bootable long test: http://blog.nowherelan.com/2013/04/04/boot-seat...

    Follow this up with a full Disk Check from the Command Prompt in Repair Mode or from bootable media: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/check-hard-dri... if necessary from the Command Prompt at boot: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanc...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-27T11:16:33+00:00

    Memtest86 gave me no errors. Crystal Disk Info gave me 94% health on C: drive. SeaTools doesn't see my C: drive. I have benchmarked my NVIDIA gpu on FurMark and  Heaven & Valley Benchmarks and they both gave me good results.  I can't seem to benchmark my integrated graphics though. I'll run Driver Verfier just in case. I'll update you when I do a CPU benchmark in Prime95.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-26T21:06:32+00:00

    Yes, that's why I gave a number of steps to test hardware besides those to check over Windows.

    Please complete all steps in the thread to date and report back results if you've not done so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-26T20:21:51+00:00

    So I think I've done all of the steps you told me in your original message. Even after the repair install it still blackscreens. I'll do the SeaTools test after a few hours. Could the problem be potentially failing hardware?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments