Laptop screen going black randomly.

Anonymous
2021-02-24T06:36:07+00:00

My laptop screen is going black randomly but it stays on and the only way I can fix that is by a hard reset. I've noticed that when my pc is very loaded (for example a heavy game like Fortnite/GTAV) no problem happens, but when I do a simple task like browsing the web it freezes. Hope that was clear enough.

!UPDATE: I managed to fix the issue! Turns out it wasn't a display/gpu/driver problem - it was a  cpu problem. I was looking at my usage % at task manager and then I realised that my cpu was running at a too high clock speed. The base speed should've been 2.90 ghz and boost clock should've been 4.20 ghz. But instead what happened was that my CPU was running from 3.4 ghz to 4.25 ghz on idle on desktop, and when I do something like browsing the web it goes to a frequency it cannot handle so it crashes. The way I fixed it was by turning "Power Saver" option in power options (in control panel).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-02T19:26:06+00:00

The random black screen and freezing issue has been solved by others by updating SSD firmware, or a BIOS update so check for those now on their manufacturer's web site.

Other possible fixes to try here:

Troubleshoot freezing Issues with your computer - Your Windows Guide

https://windowsreport.com/windows-8-freezes-sol... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenan...

https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/fix...

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-goes...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/gef...

How to fix black screen problems on Windows 10 | Windows Central

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windo...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/61562...

How to Fix a Black Screen After Updating Windows 10

Fix: Windows 10 Black Screen problems (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors - Windows Help

How to fix a black screen with cursor in Windows 10 (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

Fix: Black Screen with Cursor Windows 10 - Appuals.com (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw2pX9Umb3Y

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-25T06:29:09+00:00

    Plug it in now and run both screens side by side to observe what happens when it blacks out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-25T06:25:58+00:00

    So should I do it after it blackscreens or I should plug in the monitor before it blackscreens?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-25T06:16:43+00:00

    Can you plug in a monitor to see if the same behavior happens? You can press Windows key + P and set them to Duplicate image so you can see if the blanking on the laptop screen happens on the monitor. If not then the monitor may need replacing or it's cable tightened.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-25T05:37:09+00:00

    All my gpu drivers are up to date. I passed MemTest86 with 0 errors. Even though I haven't rolled back my gpu drivers yet I think the problem is hardware related.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments