Programs, software and apps keep crashing after 2021 updates Windows 10

Anonymous
2021-03-15T11:25:10+00:00

Hi there,

I am coming to you because i really don't know what else to try and it is becoming frustrating really.

Since early 2021 Windows Updates on both my desktop and laptop, January, February and the most recent now in March, i always had issues with programs crashing, not responding or closing after being opened.

On my desktop the most affected were Spotify and Razer software (all and any), when trying to run them it crashes with a not responding and close program issue.

On my laptop it has reach a really frustrating point where i can't open most of the programs, and even explorer/windows base executables such as notepad, regedit, services, explorer menus when right click on them, event viewer...even attempting to fix i can't because every window closes once i try to open and do something, it just crashes and shuts, no error message, nothing...it just closes after opening.

I've been looking around the internet for reported problems like this and solutions, the few i found were more related to MS Store apps than general programs/software or even windows executables.

I've ran a DISM (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth) and SFC (sfc /scannow) scans through command prompt and manage to get the CBS.log and dism.log uploaded to my drive in order to see them on my desktop as in the laptop is impossible to run.

There are plenty of errors but some that caught my attention were these and similar to these that happen often:

2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info                  CSI    000008b3 Warning: HKCU violation: HKCU keys are not serviceable. Create them at runtime if you need them. Failing key is \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ with security descriptor  and SDDL hash 0x0000000000000000.

2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info                  CSI    000008db Warning: Overlap: Registry value collision found under key \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ for Disable, only one component should set this value

Tried fixing registry permissions, but having broken registry keys without being able to open regedit it's no go.

Checked file system permissions and ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES are allow on all read & execute, list folder contents and read.

I don't see this as a hardware problem because these are two different systems - desktop and laptop - and i had no issues until 2021 windows updates and security updates.

Both systems are running the 20H2 version on Win 10 Pro x64 system and the subsequent updates from the end of January/early February 2021 started the issues described.

The obvious solution may look simple which is format and install from scratch but really don't want to go through that again...but more and more seems i will have to do that.

Any and all help, tips, advice is welcomed.

Thank you very much and looking forward for your replies and support.

Best regards,

AM

==========//==========

UPDATE:

February Win 10 update KB4601319 - causes crashes described on my desktop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.

March Win 10 update KB5000802 - causes the crashes described on both desktop and laptop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) is conflictive with the issues described above and below.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.746) is stable and working fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-23T06:55:16+00:00

    I have this exact thing with the uninstallable KBs. It's also only located to one user so I'm not sure what is causing it really.

    I've ben trying to remove KBs to no avail, rebooting like a mad man hoping to sort it out.

    I've been trying to update again but nothing seems to solve it.

    Update: Was able to remove GPU Tweak II with CCleaner as mentioned above and it solved it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-18T12:48:00+00:00

    100%

    Last year I lost all of my workbecause of windows BSOD which messed up my hard drive and i lost all my work. I eventuallly manages to get a new system on the go and had to invest in a new harddrive. It's all a deliberate bug from windows and now, keeping an eye on my reliability history, theres a " Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.339.953.0)" that is consistnely updating and it seems more like a deliberte bug from windows than an actaull update.

    The timing is also cunning because it makes it look like it has nothing to do with the crash but it is the main cause. I'd disabled all my updates in the registory and still confused as to why this "security intelligence update" is still going on. 

    Everything crashes, sometimes i don't even have to use the pc and it will turn itself off. Really frustrating and most of the repliese i see from windows staff are just  a bunch of random people (not that they're not helpfull), it's not directly from windows themself, and i doubt they're liable for causing all the damage that has happened to alot of people hardware, loss of work etc . 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-16T15:21:15+00:00

    I have the same problem of apps crashing a few seconds after starting, but that is also true for the uninstalling of the old Asus Tweak program as well as for installing (overwriting with) the new GPUTweak of Asus. So, also the install or uninstall routines keep crashing after start. Any tips on how to uninstall the ASUS driver when the uninstaller keeps crashing? Also I can't find the windows updates KBxxx that were mentioned in the thread here.

    My last two updates of 2 days ago are KB5001330 and Servicing Stack 10.0.19041.985 which I can't uninstall.

    After deinstalling KB5001330 I now have KB5000802 visible as being installed today but when trying to uninstall I get error "An error has occured. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled." So I can't remove KB5000802

    When booting in safe mode and trying to deinstall the ASUS driver I get "Error 1719: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" and when trying to install the new driver I get error "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime."

    Strange behavior is that for 2 days after the latest updates I could still start all programs but suddenly without being aware of any new updates the problem started occurring. Chrome is still working but Edge not. Even msconfig cannot be started.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T06:37:27+00:00

    HI there,

    I have same issue with my new laptop 

    I have tried all steps : but issue remains same

    Somehow i fixed the issue by changing the settings in McAfree antivirus

    Mcafree antivirus-change settings-real time scanning-turn off

    Hope it will fix the issue 

    Regards

    Eswar Uttej Chikkala

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-04T02:59:06+00:00

    Dayum ! After several hours of research it was gpu tweak all along! Thank you for sharing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments