File History Does Not Work

Anonymous
2021-02-17T10:20:46+00:00

Hi,

For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home (20H2) has stopped working.

In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up".

On clicking "Back up Now", a "Cancel" button appears after a few seconds with no back up having taken place.

On clicking "Advanced options" and clicking on "Run Now", an error message gets displayed, "We can't copy files to your File History Drive; Failed to initiate user data back-up (Error 80070005)".

I had even contacted MS Support (tier 1) and gone through a remote PC access session but the problem persists.

I'd be grateful to receive advice.

AKS

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-23T07:27:10+00:00

    I have pinned down the problem to one specific module: c:\windows\system32\fhcfg.dll. If I replace that dll with the one from before KB4601319 I am able to run File History again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-22T12:08:10+00:00

    I have the exact same problem. I am 99 percent sure it is due to the newly installed KB4601319. When I roll back KB4601319 the problem disappears and when I apply it again the problem reappears.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-22T04:58:00+00:00

    Just commenting here to say I have experienced the exact same issue you have described. Last backup was Feb 10, 2021. The past few days I have been unable to backup my pc and the same thing happens where I press "backup now" and nothing happens... I know my windows updated recently. Maybe they will fix it in another update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-13T19:25:01+00:00

    It looks like problem has been fixed with KB5001330 released today :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-13T15:52:47+00:00

    As we are too many updates into the future KB4601319 no long shows as an update that can be uninstalled...  So there seems no simple fix without a restore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments