Windows 10 Feature Update 2004 appears to have broken Windows Live Mail

Anonymous
2020-06-15T08:55:37+00:00

Hi

Have just installed Windows 10 Feature Update 2004 but Windows Live Mail appears to no longer work. The app opens and emails appear but unable to open them - a variety of "Could not write this message to disk" and "Check your computer for low memory"

Is anyone else who still uses Windows Live Mail getting this as well and is there a workaround?

I appreciate Microsoft no longer supports Windows Live Mail but it has functionality that the alternative Mail app doesn't have such as send/receive on all mail accounts with one button and a better layout (imo)

thanks ...

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-16T19:01:21+00:00

I think i have written clearly the exact error message and not just "I get an error message". I think i've seen that phrase as a stock answer in another post and you may have accidentally applied it to mine.

OK. Here are the further details of the "Could not write this message to disk"

This happens on both microsoft and non-microsoft accounts

Configuration:

   Account: Googlemail ([redacted])

   Server: imap.googlemail.com

   Username: [redacted]

   Protocol: IMAP

   Port: 993

   Secure(SSL): 1

   Code: 800c013e

Configuration:

   Account: Hotmail.co (redacted)

   Server: imap-mail.outlook.com

   Username: [redacted]@hotmail.co.uk

   Protocol: IMAP

   Port: 993

   Secure(SSL): 1

   Code: 800c013e

This appears once only on selecting the email and then in the preview pane i get the message below, (for info i am not low on memory or disk space. This is the first app i open with 24GB RAM.)

Message could not be displayed

Windows Live Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.


Windows Live Mail Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331)

Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.329)

Finally, i am able to read emails that were received before the Feature Update 2004, I am only unable to read emails received after Feature Update 2004, hence the title of my post.

I await further instruction, thank you.

Try the solution posted by WLMUser2020 on the equivalent Germain site to this one. (you may need to use Google translate).

https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/windowslive/forum/all/probleme-mit-windows-live-mail-seit-mai-update/297c8827-55ce-4f57-8422-7fe6fdba642c

WLMUser2020's solution has worked perfectly for me. I can now send and receive emails and view them and view all new emails received. I can now right click view and edit properties of my email accounts (one is a Hotmail account) which would not work after the Windows 10 2004 update.

All seems to be working that was working previously for me in Windows 10 Ver 1909. 

Hope this works for you and interested others, as it did for me.

Kind Regards

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-31T21:18:34+00:00

    I can see how step 11 can be confusing.  I'll try to do better:

    First, a little background: Step 9 came directly from DKO777 and ClitheroeKid.  I inserted steps 10, 11, and 12 in an attempt to explain step 9 (creating three new DWORD entries) in more detail.

    Step 11 explains how to create the three DWORD entries mentioned in step 9.

    I will start at the point in step 11 where you're looking at the box with the words "New Value #1" highlighted in blue.  [But stop for a minute and look at the top of the columns.  You'll see that Column 1's heading is "Name", Column 2's heading is "Type", and Column 3's heading is "Data".]

    What is confusing here is that an "entry" is actually 3 parts: Name, Type, and Data, and we've only given you two parts, and you don't even know it.  You've been given "RecreateFolderIndex = 1".  "RecreateFolderIndex" will go under Col. 1, Name, and the value "1", will go under Col. 2, Data.  Forget the "=".  (That means that the value for "RecreateFolderIndex" is "1".)  A better way to have said step 9 would have been: Create these three DWORD entries in the "Windows Live Mail" key and give each the value of "1".

    So to continue, we'll create the first DWORD entry, "RecreateFolderIndex = 1".

    At the bottom of the right window, you should be looking at a box with the words "New Value #1", highlighted in blue, at the bottom of Col. 1, Name.  Overtype "New Value #1" with "RecreateFolderIndex".  This finishes the first part of the entry.

    Go to Col. 2, Type.  What is there should be "REG_DWORD".  Leave it as is.  This finishes the second part of the entry.

    Go to Col. 3, Data.  What is there should be "0x00000000 (0)".  Change the (0) to (1).  This is the value "1" of "RecreateFolderIndex = 1".  This Col. 3, Data, should now read "0x00000000 (1)".

    Now continue with step 12 (which is to repeat steps 10 and 11 for the other two entries) and you should have it.  Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-19T00:11:36+00:00

    Thanks Igor...... I didn't dare try any regedit with the German translation, having never touched it before. Printed your post to use if/when I do try.

    Meanwhile... do you or anyone here think MS will fix this with another (small) update soon? The 2004 feature one took hours. Now I need to use Comcast (Xfinity) webmail - which does not have all my many years of WLM folders for "move to"... which I refer to often. I know MS does not "support" WLM any more... but is that an excuse for 2004 update corrupting it? No! 

    WLM still reads anything before this infamous update on 8/16/2020. But it won't reply or send anything. It Also downloads new messages (title bolded) but gives the horrible message "Windows Live Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again." with no error code. Memory is NOT an issue.

    I don't suppose there is a phone # I can call at Microsoft? Blogs or live chat (to who) only other option? I called Comcast tech support and they confirmed all my IMAP settings are still correct.

    Don't know if MS actually reads these posts or not. Is there a way to actually forward it to them?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-16T08:20:37+00:00

    I think i have written clearly the exact error message and not just "I get an error message". I think i've seen that phrase as a stock answer in another post and you may have accidentally applied it to mine.

    OK. Here are the further details of the "Could not write this message to disk"

    This happens on both microsoft and non-microsoft accounts

    Configuration:

       Account: Googlemail ([redacted])

       Server: imap.googlemail.com

       Username: [redacted]

       Protocol: IMAP

       Port: 993

       Secure(SSL): 1

       Code: 800c013e

    Configuration:

       Account: Hotmail.co (redacted)

       Server: imap-mail.outlook.com

       Username: [redacted]@hotmail.co.uk

       Protocol: IMAP

       Port: 993

       Secure(SSL): 1

       Code: 800c013e

    This appears once only on selecting the email and then in the preview pane i get the message below, (for info i am not low on memory or disk space. This is the first app i open with 24GB RAM.)

    Message could not be displayed

    Windows Live Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.


    Windows Live Mail Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331)

    Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.329)

    Finally, i am able to read emails that were received before the Feature Update 2004, I am only unable to read emails received after Feature Update 2004, hence the title of my post.

    I await further instruction, thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-16T01:09:16+00:00

    Error Message

    "I get an error message..."

    Error messages explain what has gone wrong. In order to help you, I need to know what the error message says.

    State the exact wording of the error message, including the error number (an 8-digit number). The error number identifies the exact error that is occurring, and is essential for solving your problem.

    To post that error message here: select the error message by clicking on it, then right-click on it and select 'copy'. Then paste the copied text into your next post here (right-click here and select 'paste').

    To view the error message, delete any unsent messages in the Outbox (below the account folders, in the folder pane). Then compose a short test message, with a unique subject, and send it to yourself (i.e. from the account in question to the same account).

    State what version of Windows Live Mail you use, and what version of Windows you use:

     a. To find the version and build of Windows Live Mail,

        open that program, then press Alt+F and B.

     b. To find the version of Windows, press the Windows key + R,

        then type WINVER into the pop-up box, then press <Enter>.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments