How can I connect my Win 11 device to my dad's computer for parental controls?

Anonymous
2024-01-16T16:44:58+00:00

I helped my dad in setting up my Microsoft account on the family safety software, the only problem is I can't connect my computer to his computer, it says I need to do that for activity and location display. We've tried so many things to the point where I've lost count. Signing into my account on his computer, reading some suggested help pages, and contacting a live chat agent to name a few, none of which helped! I also can provide the reference number from the live chat conversation. please help.

Update: it's been a few hours since I posted this, someone named emily replied with suggestions but now whenever I try to reply to them, it says something went wrong.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Family and online safety

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-01-21T16:21:24+00:00

    To remove your dad's device under your account, go to your dad's computer, go to Settings > Accounts > Family, if your email is listed there, change it to "cannot sign in".

    Then go on the web browser, go to https://account.live.com/devices, sign in as yours, if the device is still listed, you can remove it from there as well.

    ==================

    If your data is saved locally, when you did the transfer like I mentioned in my last reply, it will transfer over.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T17:32:34+00:00

    If your data is saved locally, when you did the transfer like I mentioned in my last reply, it will transfer over.

    So you’re saying without the mentioned transfer, my Steam games without cloud saves won’t remain on the computer?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-01-21T18:07:37+00:00

    It will be on the computer, but in a different folder, hence you need to transfer it from the old user folder to the new.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T22:07:43+00:00

    I have awesome news!! My computer just now shows up as connected under my name in family safety, the device name. Now I only need to remove my dad's computer from my account. Plus my mom wants me to not be administrator on my computer, is that possible? If yes, are there any serious side effects of doing so? If no, please let me know how I can remove myself from the administrator role on my computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-01-21T22:15:08+00:00

    Hassan, I feel that you don't really pay attention to my replies to you. I've mentioned in several replies to you that you shouldn't be set up as administrator and I have already given you the exact instruction how to make sure you are not administrator. It is YOUR MOM"s account that needs to be administrator. Let's try not to go around in circle here.

    This is the instruction I have given you. I will copy paste here again in case you didn't read it:

    Make sure your mom adds you to the family group first. Then do the following:

    On your computer, sign in with your user first.

    1. Type netplwiz in the search on the taskbar and hit enter. When launched, click on "Add". Then go ahead and sign into your mom's account.
    2. When the above user is created, back to the main netplwiz page, double click on this new user, go to the Group Membership tab, make it administrator. Save the change.
    3. Restart the computer. Sign into the your mom's user.
    4. Launch netplwiz again, delete your user from there.
    5. Go to Settings > Accounts > Family, scroll down, and next to your user, choose can sign in.
    6. Restart the computer, you should be able to see your user and your mom' listed. You can sign into yours.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments