How can I connect my Win 11 device to my dad's computer for parental controls?

Anonymous
2024-01-16T16:44:58+00:00

I helped my dad in setting up my Microsoft account on the family safety software, the only problem is I can't connect my computer to his computer, it says I need to do that for activity and location display. We've tried so many things to the point where I've lost count. Signing into my account on his computer, reading some suggested help pages, and contacting a live chat agent to name a few, none of which helped! I also can provide the reference number from the live chat conversation. please help.

Update: it's been a few hours since I posted this, someone named emily replied with suggestions but now whenever I try to reply to them, it says something went wrong.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Family and online safety

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-19T16:41:15+00:00

    Quick question, after removing my account with the netplwiz command, will any of my data on my computer be erased such as steam games?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-01-19T16:50:19+00:00

    No, it will not. But there's a chance you need to transfer later.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-19T17:58:58+00:00

    Can you tell me when I'll need to transfer and how I can do so? More so I want to know if a transfer is recommended within these steps or later down the road?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-01-19T18:01:35+00:00

    The transfer may or may not be needed.

    You can perform the steps above first. Once it is done, sign into your account, and go to C:\users\ and see if it creates two folders of yours. If so, then transfer is needed. If not, then no need to transfer anything.

    To transfer, you need to sign in using your mom's account, then go to C:\users\your older user folder, copy and paste them to C:\users\your new user folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T14:38:19+00:00

    two more questions and hopefully these are the last. How can I remove my dad's computer from under my name in family safety? I'll attach a screenshot so you know what I mean, the desktop that says "IMS3PFE" is my dad's. The other question, for example if I have a game on steam that doesn't have cloud save, will the data be lost after I follow the steps you provided? If you aren't sure, can you ask someone who is? Thank you! Plus here is one other windows device connected which I'm not sure who it belongs to, since there is no device name. ![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/5ef551f0-7879-45d4-901a-8166afc8a97a?platform=QnA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments