I am sorry Hassan, per code of conduct, this forum doesn't allow users to communicate off this platform. If you have a chance, please answer the last questions I asked.
How can I connect my Win 11 device to my dad's computer for parental controls?
I helped my dad in setting up my Microsoft account on the family safety software, the only problem is I can't connect my computer to his computer, it says I need to do that for activity and location display. We've tried so many things to the point where I've lost count. Signing into my account on his computer, reading some suggested help pages, and contacting a live chat agent to name a few, none of which helped! I also can provide the reference number from the live chat conversation. please help.
Update: it's been a few hours since I posted this, someone named emily replied with suggestions but now whenever I try to reply to them, it says something went wrong.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Family and online safety
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2024-01-19T13:54:14+00:00 Ok, then everything looks fine though. Explain to me - you said you wanted to connect your computer to your dad's computer. What do you mean exactly by saying that? I am trying to understand how that has to do with Family Safety feature, because your family safety is set up correctly.
things are not good because when I was a part of the group, it said two devices were connected under my name. A windows 10 device that had no name and a desktop with the same name as my dad's desktop device name. When I say I want to connect my device to my dad's computer, I mean I want to get the full microsoft family safety benefits. After I joined my dad's group, he couldn't set necessary things like time limits and app restrictions until a device was connected to my name in family safety. I give up and now plan to have my mom help me set it up through the mobile app. I asked my dad to remove me from the group.
-
EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor2024-01-19T13:57:58+00:00 If you want to restart and start over with your mom's account, that's totally fine.
Just make sure that - once you are addd in a family group, on the computer you want to use under family feature, your organizer (mom) needs to sign in as a user first, and must be an admin user. Then she can go to settings > accounts > family, change yours to can sign in. Don't create your Windows user before hers. Don't make yours admin. That's when it will break family safety feature.
-
Anonymous
2024-01-19T16:12:00+00:00 Are you saying my mom needs to login to my computer and be set as an admin? How do I give her the admin role and how does she sign into my computer? Furthermore, can you specify if my mom needs to go to settings > accounts > family on my computer after signing in, to allow my sign in? It would be helpful if you listed step by step instructions tailored to help prevent these or any other issues in the future.
-
EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor2024-01-19T16:28:07+00:00 Make sure your mom adds you to the family group first. Then do the following:
On your computer, sign in with your user first.
- Type netplwiz in the search on the taskbar and hit enter. When launched, click on "Add". Then go ahead and sign into your mom's account.
- When the above user is created, back to the main netplwiz page, double click on this new user, go to the Group Membership tab, make it administrator. Save the change.
- Restart the computer. Sign into the your mom's user.
- Launch netplwiz again, delete your user from there.
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Family, scroll down, and next to your user, choose can sign in.
- Restart the computer, you should be able to see your user and your mom' listed. You can sign into yours.