Ok I moved all my data to my new folder, now this error is popping up. Am I good to go? Can I sign into my account now?
How can I connect my Win 11 device to my dad's computer for parental controls?
I helped my dad in setting up my Microsoft account on the family safety software, the only problem is I can't connect my computer to his computer, it says I need to do that for activity and location display. We've tried so many things to the point where I've lost count. Signing into my account on his computer, reading some suggested help pages, and contacting a live chat agent to name a few, none of which helped! I also can provide the reference number from the live chat conversation. please help.
Update: it's been a few hours since I posted this, someone named emily replied with suggestions but now whenever I try to reply to them, it says something went wrong.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Family and online safety
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2024-01-21T23:00:38+00:00 -
EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor2024-01-21T22:45:02+00:00 As I said, you go into C:\users\ find your old username folder, copy the folders there, then go to your C:\users, new username folder ,paste them. If Windows asks if you want to merge files, go ahead and click yes. Some files may not be transferred as they are system files and no need to be transferred anyway because it is already in the new user folder, so you can just choose skip all. This process can take some time, just be patient with it.
-
Anonymous
2024-01-21T22:43:19+00:00 The transfer may or may not be needed.
You can perform the steps above first. Once it is done, sign into your account, and go to C:\users\ and see if it creates two folders of yours. If so, then transfer is needed. If not, then no need to transfer anything.
To transfer, you need to sign in using your mom's account, then go to C:\users\your older user folder, copy and paste them to C:\users\your new user folder.
Ok now I know where to find it, can you break it down in more simpler terms for how I can do the transfer, there’s just some leaps of information
-
EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor2024-01-21T22:15:08+00:00 Hassan, I feel that you don't really pay attention to my replies to you. I've mentioned in several replies to you that you shouldn't be set up as administrator and I have already given you the exact instruction how to make sure you are not administrator. It is YOUR MOM"s account that needs to be administrator. Let's try not to go around in circle here.
This is the instruction I have given you. I will copy paste here again in case you didn't read it:
Make sure your mom adds you to the family group first. Then do the following:
On your computer, sign in with your user first.
- Type netplwiz in the search on the taskbar and hit enter. When launched, click on "Add". Then go ahead and sign into your mom's account.
- When the above user is created, back to the main netplwiz page, double click on this new user, go to the Group Membership tab, make it administrator. Save the change.
- Restart the computer. Sign into the your mom's user.
- Launch netplwiz again, delete your user from there.
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Family, scroll down, and next to your user, choose can sign in.
- Restart the computer, you should be able to see your user and your mom' listed. You can sign into yours.