How can I connect my Win 11 device to my dad's computer for parental controls?

Anonymous
2024-01-16T16:44:58+00:00

I helped my dad in setting up my Microsoft account on the family safety software, the only problem is I can't connect my computer to his computer, it says I need to do that for activity and location display. We've tried so many things to the point where I've lost count. Signing into my account on his computer, reading some suggested help pages, and contacting a live chat agent to name a few, none of which helped! I also can provide the reference number from the live chat conversation. please help.

Update: it's been a few hours since I posted this, someone named emily replied with suggestions but now whenever I try to reply to them, it says something went wrong.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Family and online safety

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T23:07:55+00:00

    Alright, I found the desktop shortcuts of my Steam games and transferred them to the new folder, do I just sign into my account now or restart first?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T23:00:38+00:00

    Ok I moved all my data to my new folder, now this error is popping up. Am I good to go? Can I sign into my account now?

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-01-21T22:45:02+00:00

    As I said, you go into C:\users\ find your old username folder, copy the folders there, then go to your C:\users, new username folder ,paste them. If Windows asks if you want to merge files, go ahead and click yes. Some files may not be transferred as they are system files and no need to be transferred anyway because it is already in the new user folder, so you can just choose skip all. This process can take some time, just be patient with it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T22:43:19+00:00

    The transfer may or may not be needed.

    You can perform the steps above first. Once it is done, sign into your account, and go to C:\users\ and see if it creates two folders of yours. If so, then transfer is needed. If not, then no need to transfer anything.

    To transfer, you need to sign in using your mom's account, then go to C:\users\your older user folder, copy and paste them to C:\users\your new user folder.

    Ok now I know where to find it, can you break it down in more simpler terms for how I can do the transfer, there’s just some leaps of information

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T22:41:24+00:00

    Ok, I’ve followed and completed all of the steps. Now can you point me in the right direction of how I can access the folder with all my data for the transfer?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments