KB5034123 is impossible

Anonymous
2024-01-10T11:19:24+00:00

I can't get this latest update to install even from the manual download and the safe mode. I've been using MS OS before Windows was launched, and every Win version since.  Some things seem never to change.  I don't want to iterate all the fixes I've tried but I can assure you I have. I don't code anymore - not take I could fix it - but I would probably class myself as an occasional power user.

It stalls at 70% EVERY time. I tried almost everything detailed on MS web resources (I'm sure there are some obscure solutions promulgated, but not for me) and just tried a manual download (that works) and a Safe Mode install (that failed).

Windows 11 seems to work just fine. All my apps launch and run OK, but this update is a complete failure at this point.

Does anyone have an authoritative answer from MS that works?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T03:49:21+00:00

    I just don't understand why a company that I have been involved with since MS-DOS 1.0, actually bought from a booth where Bill Gates in shorts & polo shirt was selling it, can fail at creating flawless updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T02:21:09+00:00
    1. Open the Microsoft Download Center page.
    2. Save the wushowhide. diagcab file on the computer.
    3. Double-click the “. ...
    4. Click the Next button.
    5. Click the Hide updates option.
    6. Select the Windows 11 update to hide from the system.
    7. Click the Next button.
    8. Click the Close button.

    You might want to delete the update files that did not work and you can do a search here in this community to get those instructions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-24T23:17:46+00:00

    I got it to install BUT on reboot and login, the screen blinks constantly with keyboard basically disabled, unable to click Windows Key or even CTRL-ALT-DEL. So I rebooted to go back to a restore point and I can now use the laptop.

    So I do NOT see a function in Windows Update to 'IGNORE' an update. How can I ensure this KB5034123 update does not appear?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-24T19:13:04+00:00

    I was feeling frustrated by the lack of communication here earlier. I finally went over to the developer side and there is chatter there and then I went online and found some helpful sites to get rid of that latest 2024-01 push from my machine. That helped tremendously. I'm not sure if Microsoft support actually does much with this community site. I don't often see any "official" folks in these threads. Maybe they are just too overwhelmed or understaffed. It is frustrating - especially for those folks who now have machines that are either not working or are giving off all sorts of error messages. You might try looking offline at other sites to see if you can find a simple and straightforward way to get your machine at least back to functioning properly while we all wait. Good luck!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-24T18:07:34+00:00

    And the list of affected end users continues to grow with no action or even a hello from Microsoft in sight. The problem is the package. Each and every other update has seamlessly been installed. I'm annoyed that the end user needs to go through hoops to try to fix this sh*t and nothing works. FIX THE UPDATE PLEASE!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments