KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

Anonymous
2020-05-11T03:49:56+00:00

I was using my computer when it blue screened and it said Stop Code: KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED and it kept happening again and again, after turning on my pc after 3 hours of not using it started blue screening a bit after loading and now I cant log in

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-25T15:11:42+00:00

    I have an HP Envy Desktop 795-0010 running Windows 10 Home that started this behavior on May 21, 2020. It rapidly reached the point of crashing within 1 or 2 seconds of booting. I used a Linux Ubuntu startup disk in non-install mode to run the computer and copy out files changed since the previous backup to a NAS, then went to the System Restore Point of May 10 but that did not solve the problem. I ran the hardware diagnostics in "extensive" mode and 4.5 hours later there were no issues.  I booted back to Linux tried to clean out the Windows Update area C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (found this by Googling) but the Linux non-install boot would not let me remove system files even using "sudo"; I think that is a good decision on Linux' part. Eventually I restored the C: drive from an old Feb 22 Acronis TrueImage backup and copied any new files back in. I then did all the updates (except the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909) and it still is working after 14 hours.

    Kudos to Phil Jackson for spearheading this issue!

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-21T18:49:03+00:00

    This is happening to my gaming pc ive reset the pc twice and i keep getting the same thing this is not helping

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-05-21T04:32:24+00:00

    I have the same issue.  My computer is now in a cycle of kmode_exception_not_handled and when I reinstalled the entirety of Windows 10, it took 24 hrs before it started with the same issue. This needs to be fixed. Permanently. I use this computer for work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-05-20T15:08:04+00:00

    I had done essentially the same thing with my PC, which is also a new HP computer, but this did not solve the problem. Here's more history:

    I first started and setup the PC on 4/1/20, and disabled use of McAfee software. I did not have any problems with the machine until 5/8/20, when it started having Kmode exceptions which became so frequent that Windows said I had to reset the PC's Windows installation. I tried a partial reset that kept my data files, but the PC still had the Kmode exceptions, so I did a complete reset of the PC on 5/8/20. I again removed McAfee software, and continued using the PC. The PC ran without problems until 5/18/20, when it starting having Kmode exceptions again. The Kmode exceptions again became so frequent that Windows said I needed to reset the PC.

    So, I reset the PC on 5/19/20 and again removed McAfee software from the control panel. I discovered that I could cause the Kmode exceptions to happen at will, just by trying to perform a Windows system update, after Windows had installed all the above updates that I described in my initial post yesterday. 

    I think others may have the same problem. You can easily test it, by trying to perform a Windows system update using the following menus and selections:

    control panel

      system and security

          security and maintenance

             maintenance

                start maintenance

    I suspect that after Windows installs KB4052623, it then has a problem trying to install KB2267602 that causes a Kmode exception. This might happen for other PC's, whenever they get to a point in their update cycle that causes them to try these updates. The latest version of KB4052623 was released on 4/30/20, about a week before my PC started having Kmode exception crashes.

    Phil

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-05-19T19:06:34+00:00

    I've been having the same problem with a new PC. In fact, I can make the Kmode exceptions happen at will, by going through the following menus and selections:

    control panel

      system and security

          security and maintenance

             maintenance

                start maintenance

    A Kmode exception happens about 5 seconds after I click "start maintenance". It's very repeatable. I've tried it about 5 times and it always happens. After the PC restarts and I logon, it seems to be fine and I can do other things, or make the Kmode exception happen again.

    This is with a new PC that was "reset" to its initial Windows 10 factory settings, after the Kmode exceptions happened so frequently today that Windows said it had to be reset. The only updates that are now installed on this PC are:  KB4501374, KB4537759, KB4517245, KB4552931, KB4552152, KB4541338, KB4525419, KB4497727, KB4052623.

    The Windows update history says that KB2267602 failed to install today, and describes this as "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus". It seems likely this is related to the Kmode exceptions, but I don't know. The only software I installed on this PC after it was reset was Firefox and Microsoft Intellipoint. I also setup Microsoft quicklaunch, for Windows 10. (I removed the prepackaged McAfee antivirus software from the control panel after the PC was reset, because I don't want to use McAfee. I'd rather just use Windows Defender Antivirus, if possible.)

    I sure hope Microsoft can fix this problem. It appears to be a showstopper for my use of the PC. I expect that if Windows tries automatically to install new updates, the updates will continue to have Kmode exceptions, and Windows will eventually again force me to reset the Windows installation on the PC -- which is a big pain because of all the software configurations I need to re-install on a new PC.

    Phil Jackson

    ******@gmail.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments