Windows 10 100 % disk usage

Anonymous
2020-02-26T13:40:33+00:00

New to Windows , so please excuse me if this has been covered in the past.

How do i correct the 100 % disk usage that has my computer by the throat ... Its causing major slowdowns. 

I have - Windows updates ON and current.

I am only running 1 app on this computer ( quickbooks accounting )

This happen seven when the computer is at rest.

Thanks in advance

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-28T14:47:49+00:00

    I am sorry ---my mistake. He is a shot from 5 minutes ago.. I rebooted as soon as I opened tak manager I an 100 %

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-28T02:46:45+00:00

    I have this problem ALL OF THE TIME; so often, that I rarely use my laptop and do everything on my tiny iPhone. In the past it was always Cortana and/or Cortana + Search that were the "hogs". I hear that "racheting up" sound (like when your computer isn't completely booted up yet) THE ENTIRE TIME my computer is on, with only infrequent pauses of a few seconds at a time, back to sounding like it is loading....even while at rest.

    Today, after a long spell of not even turning on this laptop, I installed all updates so that it is current, and have a new and different "hog", plus a mystery task manager addition....

    Microsoft Teams.... wth even is this and why would it be added without my permission and to open at start up.... and.... TO STAY RUNNING AFTER CLOSED....

    I am taking a wild guess that Microsoft Teams is the odd "Program" that is now showing up as well, in task manager.

    I think it's time to try out a Mac?!!??

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. SD - IA 180K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-02-28T02:14:22+00:00

    Yours is at the right and mine is from the left.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-02-26T15:13:44+00:00

    Morning,

    Thanks for the help......Im out of the office for most of the day... I will say that this computer is dedicated to ONLY accounting. I use a laptop for most everything else. 

    This morning after being unused all night , no app open.. Task manger showed 100 % disk usage. I will get you the info ASAP ( I'm in Ca - west coast time )

    Rodney

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. SD - IA 180K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-02-26T14:34:44+00:00

    Hi Rodney,

    I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

    When the disk is at 100 Percent, what are the top 5 processes taking the disk resource as reported in the task manager?

    Right-click Taskbar and select Task Manager.

    Go to the Processes tab.

    Click the Disk column.

    You can also take a screenshot and post in the next reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments