Disable Get Even More Out of Windows

Anonymous
2020-03-25T10:06:25+00:00

Hello, I'm having a problem with this screen appearing on my computers. I want it, and anything related to halting startup disabled.

What I've tried so far is setting the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UserProfileEngagement\ScoobeSystemSettingEnabled to 0, as that was the advice I got online. Didn't work.

I've also tried unchecking the "Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occassionally when I sign in to highlight what's new and suggested" option in Settings->System->Notifications as that was supposed to help too. Didn't work.

What do I need to do to get Microsoft to stop bothering me? Preferably something with a CLI so I can automate it.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-15T15:13:00+00:00

    What the ****? why do all my digital signs have this on them this morning? its not CONTROLLABLE?!?! we are in a pandemic can you guys not screw around with this **** please?

    It should also be said that we stagger patches by at least a month. So either this setting is not honouring my ADR schedule, or its come in the back door, some side channel that i cant control. **** great.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-15T01:46:06+00:00

    I agree that that option to disable this nag has been removed. Today I had a computer that runs data collection unattended receive updates and reboot. After the reboot it sat at this nag screen.

    It was not noticed and we lost 6 hours of data because none of the scheduled tasks ran. I hate that we paid for a pro version of Windows 10 and we are not trusted to decide that a machine should run with a local account and not want any of the additional services.

    I hope there is a fix for this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-16T06:10:11+00:00

    As far as I can tell:

    • SubscribedContent-338388Enabled is related to giving ads for apps in the start menu
    • SubscribedContent-338389Enabled is related to the ads you see on the lock menu
    • SubscribedContent-353696Enabled is related to ads in the settings menu

    While you wouldn't want any of these on any computer, I don't think either of these settings are likely to fix the issue.

    This problem is one of the worst to have, being so hidden and spontaneous, so you can't really troubleshoot it either. Having someone actually from Microsoft respond would probably be the best bet, but reaching anything but low tier techs reading from the same checklist you are while completely ignoring everything you say is a nightmare and a half.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-15T15:50:04+00:00

    It appears that this is controlled by, in my case, three keys under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager branch.

    the ones that start with SubscribedContent

    set them all to zero.

    I have done this now, but i cant make the screen pop up reliably, so i dont know if its fixed the problem. Its not popping up on second reboot of the same machine, even before i changed these keys.

    Another problem, is that these are user keys. So like my digital signage runs as an unprivileged local user, so no group policy will apply to it. Have to make disabling these keys part of my setup signage script, or find another way to push them to all users.

    ref: https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_disable_get_even_more_out_of_windows.html

    Note that i dont have the above key exactly, but three similarly named different keys. When i search those strinsg, they all have to do with **** i dont want and that microsoft can seemingly randomly push to machines. so we want those off.

    reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager /v "SubscribedContent-338388Enabled" /d "0" /t REG_DWORD /f

    reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager /v "SubscribedContent-338389Enabled" /d "0" /t REG_DWORD /f

    reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager /v "SubscribedContent-353696Enabled" /d "0" /t REG_DWORD /f

    edit: this seems to have worked. put in a computer policy for windows 10 machines, targeting the default user container. But i cant reproduce the error at will so cant test if this solves it.

    computer policy for NEW users

    user policy for existing users:

    gotta do all 3.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-13T21:06:34+00:00

    I have the same problem.

    Microsoft, some of us use our PC's for multimedia servers. Having the system reboot then sit and wait on this screen until we acknowledge it kind of defeats the purpose!  Fix it!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments