incorrect password with POP mail account

Anonymous
2012-03-22T16:00:47+00:00

Question Summary

Unable to send Email

Please provide your impacted Email address :

___@___.___

Which version of Windows Live Mail are you using ?

Version 2011 (15.4.3555.0308)

Did you receive an error code or message?

Yes

Please enter the error code or message you received

ID:0x800CCCOF

Additional Details

When I try to send or recieve email with my ___@___.___ email account I get message saying:  Unable to send or recieve messages for the SWBell account.  Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.

Server:  inbound.att.net

Windows Live Mail Error ID:  0x800CCC0F

Prtotocol:  POP3

Port:  995

Secure (SSL): Yes

I have used this account in Windows live for two years with no problem, but it recently started acting up.  I know that the settings are correct.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-23T15:55:46+00:00

Several weeks ago, I entered this conversation regarding "invalid password" error using WLM and ATT/Yahoo Mail on the Internet.  ATT seems to have admitted there might be a problem, but I never saw anything to confirm that, or a fix from ATT/Yahoo.

The advice given in the thread then was that my new iPhone was causing the problem, due to the setting "push" being "on" and whenever the iPhone is awake, it keeps logging into my ATT/Yahoo mail account.  Since POP servers do not like 2 simultaneous users for one account, my PC got the error.  I leave my iPhone on all the time, on its charger.

Well, I'm here to report that all I did was turn off "push" on the iPhone, and the problem has totally vanished!  All I have to do now is "refresh" on the iPhone and my emails pop up.

Thanks to iFiredog and Mike Distefano who offered that advice and information! 

Thanks again!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-13T21:57:57+00:00

Did you read thearticle at the AT&T help site? What happened after you contacted them?


Noel

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-01T03:16:34+00:00

    . I'll say it again - the problem lies with Yahoo/ATT/SBC/BT and any number of other providers that have contracted with Yahoo (and possibly Google) for their mail service. WLMail is simply doing what it's always done - sending POP requests for new mail.


    Noel

    Noel....

    But why am I only getting it with my wifes e mail....either on her side or mine and never with any of my 4 e mails?   Could it be that mine were all made first at each provider and is a "master id" ?

    when we are signed in to the home page web mail they pop up instantly, but I guess because like you say, they don't have to ask for it....it's their server.

    LOE1....come on man....get that old "Geek mind" going.......I'm retired after 38 yrs in avaiation mntc and have been project manager on several intricate computer projects....so I'm no stranger to trouble shooting and trying to think through problems.......this has me stumped

    There HAS to be an answer to this.....why some work and some don't.....lets find it an "patent" it or I guess copywrite it.....we'll make millions !!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-30T23:57:49+00:00

    I would think that all of the software, whether iPhone based or PC based, like WLM, would login, get/send mail, logout, and go dormant.

    That would be the case for POP access as used by the PC. The Yahoo tech quoted above referred to 'push mail', which doesn't use POP to poll for new messages. This is possible with a phone, because it is always identifiable by its number. When a message is sent to you, it eventually arrives at your own mailbox on the server ready for you to collect. The mail server can't deliver it unasked, because it doesn't know where to deliver it to - unless its a phone. If your phone has asked Yahoo to deliver ('push') mail as soon as it arrives, Yahoo clearly has difficulty dealing with authentication requests from somewhere else

    • your PC - for the same mailbox. I'll say it again - the problem lies with Yahoo/ATT/SBC/BT and any number of other providers that have contracted with Yahoo (and possibly Google) for their mail service. WLMail is simply doing what it's always done - sending POP requests for new mail.

    Noel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-30T23:38:09+00:00

    PS - I don't want to muddy the waters, but as an old timer geek, I was just recently convinced by my better half to get an iPhone.  Ever since I got it, I've had problems with the Apple related software on my W7 64bit PC, and even uninstalled it all 2 times. 

    This could be a clue to MS that Apple is being careless about testing their software on Windows systems - sort of like having me test MS software all these years for Microsoft.  There could be a conflict that needs Apple and MS to get together and resolve for us dependent users.

    Ha!  WHFO!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments