Can't login to microsoft account on minecraft: windows 10 edition

Anonymous
2020-01-08T15:56:21+00:00

I just got minecraft for windows 10 yesterday, and i try to log in to collect the items in my starter pack. Every time i click to log in though, there's an error message that pops up saying "Failed to login. We tried to sign you into your microsoft account, but something went wrong." and there's a "close" button at the bottom. I just want a way to sign in so that i can get my stuff. Also, would i be able to sign in with an account that didn't buy the game? Or is it mine now and i can sign in with whatever account? Thank you for your help :))

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-01-01T15:19:45+00:00

The best option is to install the xbox game companion app from the Microsoft store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-console-companion/9wzdncrfjbd8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab  

Also install the xbox games app: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/apps/xbox-app-for-windows-10

This will give you visibility into any account problems, and are necessary for playing Minecraft Windows 10 Edition.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-28T13:38:07+00:00

    Have you downloaded the Xbox Identity Provider as well? 

    I've done a little bit of research and reading.....Start with going to Xbox.com and try signing in with your microsoft account ID and password.  If you are able to successfully sign in then we know it's not an issue with your credentials.  If you are able to sign into Xbox.com successfully, make sure all your apps and computer system is up to date, make sure there are no updates that need to be installed.  Then try to reset the Xbox Console Companion app.

    1. Click Start, then Settings.
    2. Select System.
    3. Choose Apps & features.
    4. Find the app, then click Advanced options.
    5. Click Reset.
    6. Click Reset again to confirm.
    7. Restart your device so that the changes will take effect. Sign in to the app and check if the same issue occurs.

    After you have checked to make sure your system and apps do not need an update, you have Xbox Identity Provider and Xbox Console Companion installed,  that you are able to successfully log into your credentials, you have reset the app, restart your computer and try to log in again.  Comment back if that worked.  If not we can look further into it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-14T01:37:15+00:00

    I had this same issue.  I tried going to the Windows + x and going to the powershell and typing in those commands.  That did not resolve the issue.  What resolved the issue for me, and I wish I knew this sooner, I went and downloaded Xbox Identity Provider fron the Microft website.  I was able to sign into my Microsoft account easily after download.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-08T20:05:56+00:00

    Hi,

    I regret to read that, can you share exactly the error you see? Normally, these steps have previously solved these types of problems to other users, for that reason I shared them. Have a great day

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-08T18:08:33+00:00

    Thank you for the tip, Marc! I have one extra question, though, would i be able to sign in with my personal microsoft/xbox account (my mom bought the game and used her email)? You have a nice day too! :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments