Win 7 preinstalled with download rights: still Free upgrade to Win 10?

Anonymous
2019-11-05T23:53:06+00:00

Hi,  I bought a laptop a few years ago with:

Window® 7 Professional 64 preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or Windows 10 Pro 64

Can I still upgrade to win 10 for Free?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Greg Carmack 24,785 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2019-11-10T02:05:36+00:00

    You'd need to have created the System Image yourself.  It doesn't create itself.  See here:  https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/

    System Restore is your first line of defense if Windows ever malfunctions as it can run even from recovery media to get you back before a problem started.  It should always be turned on C drive with plenty of disk space (5-15%) configured.  http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-to-fix-windows-10-problems-with-system-restore-11364008291943

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-10T02:00:10+00:00

    I meant does it create a restore point automatically.  You do mention in your clean install directions, that I should make sure it's turned on.  Nonetheless, if it's on, will it create a point with out me even knowing right after install?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-10T01:24:50+00:00

    Greg,

    I read that once win 10 is installed it creates some sort of backup - a system image or a restore point (or something like that).  Can  you confirm this.  And how do I DELETE it?

    Thanks again for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Greg Carmack 24,785 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2019-11-09T01:35:47+00:00

    Just keep checking Media Creation Toolto see when it changes from May 2019 Update at the top.  My guess is next week.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-08T16:31:13+00:00

    Is there a way I can know when V. 1909 would be available?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments