Thanks Greg!
I'll mull this over. But kindly clarify that if it does indeed activate, then it's really legal, right?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi, I bought a laptop a few years ago with:
Window® 7 Professional 64 preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or Windows 10 Pro 64
Can I still upgrade to win 10 for Free?
Thanks.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thanks Greg!
I'll mull this over. But kindly clarify that if it does indeed activate, then it's really legal, right?
At Settings > Update & Security > Activation under Status and Edition.
You can shrink C by about 100gb in Disk Mgmt. and do a Clean Install by booting the media, during Custom install choose the space you shrunk then Next to let it configure a Dual Boot and begin install following the gold standard Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...
After install watch the Activation Status to see if it Activates. If so post back a screenshot of Disk mgmt and I'll help you delete the old install and recover the space into C or as a data partition. If not then delete the test partition and Extend C back over it in Disk Mgmt.
This is the easiest way to know. You can also keep WIndows 10 and activate it with a Product Key if it doesn't activate, or if Lenovo won't help you with downgrade rights.
So that's what I'd do. Up to you.
What indicator would tell me if it would be activated?
You would have had to pay attention to whether it was activated to know for sure.
You can contact Microsoft Support phone or chat options here:
https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/... but they may tell you what I've said repeatedly here which is that Downgrade rights are entirely controlled by the PC maker. I gave you their Support page on this. I would contact their Support chat to ask if WIndows 10 downgrade rights are in effect on the PC and how to use them to change to Windows 10.
Thanks for the response. I only upgrade for a very short time. Maybe just 10 minutes. I don't know even how I would activate it? or how it would confirm. I know the OS worked and I briefly checked it out though. So does that mean it was activated?
Please clarify what I give to MS if I must contact them? If it does work, though, then it's definitely legal, right?