Windows 10 Update error

Anonymous
2020-01-14T22:12:21+00:00

Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,476 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-07-28T13:36:48+00:00

Hello,

Please run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. See if it works.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

If issue still persists, we can install updates manually using this guide: https://www.kapilarya.com/manually-download-and-install-windows-updates-in-windows-10

If nothing helps, reset Windows Update components: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-17T00:13:48+00:00

    Ralph, your most welcome I am happy to help.

    But please go back to my first post and complete all of the steps while I am here to help you. Those steps work for almost everyone, so Please don't skip any steps. We often find out later that the fix was the skipped step. If you need help performing any step I will help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-16T21:03:31+00:00

    Greg, I did do a restart but the update failed again plus 3 more retries have failed.  I will try option 3 later today as I don't have time right now.  Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate the time you have spent trouble-shooting my problem.............Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-16T20:36:43+00:00

    Options 1 and 2 never have worked for me. I always end up having to do option 3, which has worked this time as well. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-16T16:27:09+00:00

    It took me almost 10 attempts before it took .Net

    And feature update 1903 to 1909 failed....

    Isnt that right ????

    And it failed 10 times already...

    0Xc1900403.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments