Windows 10 Update error

Anonymous
2020-01-14T22:12:21+00:00

Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Kapil Arya 38,476 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2020-07-28T13:36:48+00:00

Hello,

Please run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. See if it works.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

If issue still persists, we can install updates manually using this guide: https://www.kapilarya.com/manually-download-and-install-windows-updates-in-windows-10

If nothing helps, reset Windows Update components: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-27T23:22:31+00:00

    Windows10 update 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)failed 3 times with this error:  

    Last failed install attempt on ‎1/‎14/‎2020 - 0xc1900403  (also displayed download error, reason for 3 runs)

    What can I do to get a successful update?  I am not very technical.............Ralph

    The 2020-01 cumulative update failed for me because of a corrupt or missing system file. I was able to fix the problem by using the Windows Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool, after which the update installed successfully.

    Open administrator command prompt and enter the following two commands

    dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

    sfc /scannow

    Wait for each to complete

    Exit command prompt and reboot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-24T20:01:32+00:00

    Greg,

    Guess what???  The update for version 1903 ran successfully.  I must have run it 15-20 times.  Windows is so darn unpredictable.  This has happened to me in the past but it didn't take this many runs.  I was hoping it might eventually take........and it did.

    Thanks for all your help Greg, believe me I really appreciate all the time you took to help me.

    Best Regards...............Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-24T18:23:46+00:00

    Hi Greg,

    Something new came up yesterday in checking for updates.  Besides the update to version 1903 I got this:

    Optional updates available

    Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909

    Download and install now.

    Can you explain this to me when you have time.

    Thanks Greg.................Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-24T18:16:11+00:00

    Greg,  thanks for your interest and help.  I have already run that process and it hung on the install.

    Thanks again.........Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments