5 min is not enough time to grab a coffee.
How do I increase time before the 20 minute lockout in personal vault for onedrive
How do I increase time before the 20 minute lockout in personal vault for onedrive
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2019-11-23T17:07:49+00:00 -
Craig Long 18,640 Reputation points2019-11-03T11:12:06+00:00 What about playing a video file in a loop? That would keep a file in the vault open.
-
Anonymous
2019-09-28T17:12:36+00:00 I didn't have the win10 notifications on to show private vault timeout messages. So having that on helps to at least be notified 5 min before it times out as I painstakingly upload all the data. Before I was having to reactivate with 2fa every single time and pick up hopefully not losing data.
It's ironic that Onedrive from the beginning was advertised as inherently safe and encrypted. Yet we now have a private vault with 2fa to basically confirm Onedrive is not safe, secure, and encrypted. So at least now I am more willing to upload sensitive data for a safe backup.
-
Craig Long 18,640 Reputation points2019-09-28T02:14:53+00:00 I thought of a possible solution that I haven't tried yet. As long as one is ok with uploading their data to the standard Onedrive first, then you could potentially cut and paste the folder into the private vault from there. I recall in the past that albeit it took 3 days to get 300GB uploaded, it was very easy to cut and past an entire folder from one folder to another all on Onedrive. So I am thinking that it might be possible to upload everything to Onedrive and then cut and paste it into the private vault from there. I will be testing this today.
Good luck with that but I suspect it will not work because the data in the vault has to be BitLocker-encrypted unlike the data outside. Even if OneDrive can figure out that it already has the data and can just move it to its master copy of the vault in the cloud to match what you did on your PC, the encryption of 300 GB of data will have to be done, and that is not going to be quick, and will presumably be done by copying your data file by file into the vault and deleting the original.
To my knowledge Bitlocker provides only local data encryption and doesn't encrypt in the cloud. Bitlocker encrypted files in the cloud are the same as non-encrypted files in the cloud. But I haven't tested the Personal Vault.
-
Anonymous
2019-09-28T00:54:45+00:00 I thought of a possible solution that I haven't tried yet. As long as one is ok with uploading their data to the standard Onedrive first, then you could potentially cut and paste the folder into the private vault from there. I recall in the past that albeit it took 3 days to get 300GB uploaded, it was very easy to cut and past an entire folder from one folder to another all on Onedrive. So I am thinking that it might be possible to upload everything to Onedrive and then cut and paste it into the private vault from there. I will be testing this today.
Good luck with that but I suspect it will not work because the data in the vault has to be BitLocker-encrypted unlike the data outside. Even if OneDrive can figure out that it already has the data and can just move it to its master copy of the vault in the cloud to match what you did on your PC, the encryption of 300 GB of data will have to be done, and that is not going to be quick, and will presumably be done by copying your data file by file into the vault and deleting the original.