Windows 10 Update 1903 renames User fiolder

Anonymous
2019-06-15T18:14:21+00:00

After updating Windows 10 with Feature Update 1903

Users/User is renamed Users/User.000

and a new folder Users/User created with just a handful of files in it

So, for example, backup settings for Money are wrong.

How can this be fixed?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-27T11:21:29+00:00

    This was the position that I was also in, and I managed to resolve.

    1. Create another new user with full Admin rights
    2. Log in as that user to delete the problem files. (The locations have been posted earlier on this thread). You could try something like IOBits Uninstall utility to check that all traces of Zune have been removed.
    3. Then follow the methods previously described to reinstate the real tim folder rather than tim.000

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-18T07:20:45+00:00

    Thanks.  Yes I started off with a Roll Back, then removed ZUNE etc. before successfully upgrading to 1903.

    You are now in a situation without the upgrade, with MS saying that support for your version 1803 (?) is ending soon?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-16T17:00:29+00:00

    Yes all good.  Thanks for the tip.

    Getting rid of some Zune files was a nightmare.  Uninstalled Zune and hoped that would be the end of it.  Ha!  MS doesn't work like that.  I rebooted, and started (using the command line, takeown etc) to delete the folders in Appdata/Local/Packages named something like Microsoft.Zune/**** and /musicxxxxx, but as quick as I was removing them, something was recreating them.  I think there is something built into Windows which still uses these outdated folders.  So i Googled and found what I had to remove from Windows, then managed to delete these folders and files, and THEN the upgrade went without a hitch.

    I no longer have any trace of user.000 profile!!  Whew!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-16T08:35:41+00:00

    Ah interesting.  I too found the ZUNE files were all that was left in my original profile, and had trouble deleting them.  I did wonder whether that might be the cause.  I rolled back, and haven't had time to try a second time, but with your experiences, I think I now will (AFTER removing ZUNE and all its files - was it from back in the days I had a Windows Phone mobile??)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-08-07T20:14:18+00:00

    Oh no!!  I've just hit this, and find that Outlook no longer sends emails . . . GREAT Microsoft.  Should I phone them for a solution, or will they just say 'create a new profile' etc . . .which I DON'T want to do.  I want my old settings back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments