Just right click on the taskbar, go to Search and click on Hidden. Then to search all you need to do is to hit the Windows key and type your search.
HATE THIS - Windows Search "Top Apps" - How do I remove it?
Is it possible to remove the "Top Apps" section of Windows Search.
I'm using
and the what I need removed is
I really hate anything to do with search history and that sort of thing and I really hate seeing this every time I try to do a search.
Please help.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hello,
There is no direct method to disable Top Apps (as of Version 2004), however you can try this workaround to skip Top Apps:
Right click on Taskbar and select Search > Hidden.
Now simply click on Start button or press Windows key and type your search query. This way you can skip Top Apps on the search fly-out you are seeing.
Hope this helps!
42 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2020-05-09T23:26:36+00:00 Nope, that does not fix it. We've had this discussion before. Mine lists apps that I don't even use! It has Settings - Calculator - Paint - Snip & Sketch - Firefox. I never use Paint or Snip & Sketch. It's just Microsoft being Microsoft and controlling what we see.
-
Anonymous
2020-01-16T21:19:33+00:00 Like all the others I have the same problem.
Top Apps shows products I have never used.
If MS wish to peddle irrelevant products down to my search then I just write a review about the offending product giving it one star and saying someone at MS must be getting $$ to force these "Apps" onto my seach box..
-
Anonymous
2019-08-18T11:28:58+00:00 MS make changes that someone (many someone's) somewhere does not want with every version update, and to a lesser extent
the cumulative updates.
- No one on these forums has any direct influence with the MS developers Ivory Tower. The only recourse users have is to band
about a million + Windows users together and complain via the Feedback app. This may get their attention.
MS have made it more difficult to override a whole lot of default settings in their attempt to 'simplify' Windows through a general
dumbing down, and by reducing the user customisation options further than any previous version of Windows.
There is much to hate about the increase in MS's Big Brother attitude Win10, but like previous versions of Windows, there is more than
one way to do most tasks, such as lacumb's suggestion in this instance. Use the alternatives, or don't. Up to you.
[EDIT: I haven't tried it because I don't want to loose my saved Run commands (which I use a lot more than Search,
so I was unaware of this change until now but ...
it looks like the Top Apps come from the Start Menu > Most Used list, so if you don't mind the repercussions (A blank*, Most Used*, Run, and ? ),
you could go to - Taskbar Settings > Start - where you may be able to rid Search of these so called Top Apps by
disabling - Show Most Used Apps ? ]
.