Windows 10 Acer Swift 3 Nvidia MX150 BSOD Since 1809 upgrade. Still occurring in 1903 upgrade

Anonymous
2019-07-18T16:13:51+00:00

Below is a description of the problem

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Unfortunately, I have not had a response from someone who can escalate this issue with Microsoft. Long story short, I have had the above laptop since August 2018 which was preinstalled with 1803. The system comes with a i5 8250u, 8GB ram, 250GB M2 SSD and a MX150 Nvidia. The laptop works perfectly on Windows 10 1803 with no BSODs or any error messages. On upgrading to 1809 the system will crash either when installing the nvidia driver or once a game or 3d application has finished using the nvidia GPU. For example, I can run a game for one hour with good temperatures and no graphics abnormalities; everything seems normal. However once the game or photoshop has been closed and I am back on the desktop using the intel GPU, a BSOD VIDEO_DXGKNL_FATAL_ERROR is always shown. This does not happen with 1803, and this does not happen when using a Linux OS.

All different drivers from acer, intel, nvidia have been tried, uninstalled and re-tried. It does not matter which driver I install as they do not fix the problem. This issue that I am experiencing has been discussed on this MS community website, and on the acer forums. The only resolution thus far is to rollback to 1803 where the system is 100% stable. Tonight I decided to read about the new 1903 update that is soon to be released. I am currently signed up to the Windows Insider Program and have updated to the latest preview build. Tonight I have found that the same issue when installing the GPU, or once a application/game has finished using the GPU my system will GSOD / BSOD just like 1809. This issue has been ongoing since 1809 with lots of users posting about this problem when using a google search. I am now currently at a complete loss as the issue does not seem to have been fixed, or had the attention from someone who could possibly put measures in place to fix this. I have disabled the Nvidia GPU in device manager so that I am able to type this post without having tons of BSODs when only a web browser is open. Since I have moved to 1809 and 1903; tonight I have had over 20 BSODs with five of them happening after entering the login pin at the password screen. Once the nvidia gpu is disabled and I am only using the Intel GPU, the system is 100% stable but without the high performance from the nvidia GPU. I really appreciate anyone who can assist me with this further.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The above problem has been reported on a number of Forums, but basically the same problem.

The only known fixes that have worked appear to be to go back to Windows 10 1803, the disable any further Windows updating. Or to disable the Nvidia MX150 device. None of these fixes are a permanent solution for myself. 

This problem started with Windows 10 1809 release, and is still a problem with Windows 10 release1903.

Do Microsoft know about this problem? Is it being addressed? Have Microsoft put out any information regarding this problem? When will it be fixed?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-15T18:53:53+00:00

    Hey everyone, me again and I have an update on the situation. I have been running1803 and 1909 in a dual boot up till this point. So if I wanted to game or use photoshop I would use 1803, and if I wanted to do my work or watch youtube etc I would use 1909. However after more research and the fact that the laptop works perfectly under the Linux OS I have been trying more options and configurations.

    I am now running 1909 with all drivers updated, plus re-enabling the nvidia gpu. I have not had a bluescreen message in over 2 weeks now. I have tried everything that would normally trigger the bsod message, so I think I have a solution to this whole problem.

    Right, once you have installed the latest nvidia driver , before restarting go into device manager and go through these options. Right click for properties on the nvidia mx150 gpu, then the drivers tab, update drivers, browse for drivers on the computer, let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer, Untick show compatible hardware, on the left select nvidia, then on the right select a Different gpu from the mx150. For example I have mine selected as a 1050. This can be done if you scroll up the list of devices. Then click on next and confirm these actions.

    The above steps will have to be done each time you update the nvidia drivers as we are tricking the OS.

    Once done, restart and enjoy your laptop like you did on 1803 but now your running 1909. The motherboard bios controls the clocks and voltages so no damage will be done. I hope this works for everyone. I am writing this message on 1909 with the intel and nvidia chip enabled. I hope others have the same success as I have had with this adjustment.  Of course if you are within warranty then have the mainboard or laptop exchanged.

    John

    Hi, 

    I am using the same Acer Laptop and have the same issue. BTW did you get any BSOD after using this trick?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-04T22:25:58+00:00

    Hey everyone, me again and I have an update on the situation. I have been running1803 and 1909 in a dual boot up till this point. So if I wanted to game or use photoshop I would use 1803, and if I wanted to do my work or watch youtube etc I would use 1909. However after more research and the fact that the laptop works perfectly under the Linux OS I have been trying more options and configurations.

    I am now running 1909 with all drivers updated, plus re-enabling the nvidia gpu. I have not had a bluescreen message in over 2 weeks now. I have tried everything that would normally trigger the bsod message, so I think I have a solution to this whole problem.

    Right, once you have installed the latest nvidia driver , before restarting go into device manager and go through these options. Right click for properties on the nvidia mx150 gpu, then the drivers tab, update drivers, browse for drivers on the computer, let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer, Untick show compatible hardware, on the left select nvidia, then on the right select a Different gpu from the mx150. For example I have mine selected as a 1050. This can be done if you scroll up the list of devices. Then click on next and confirm these actions.

    The above steps will have to be done each time you update the nvidia drivers as we are tricking the OS.

    Once done, restart and enjoy your laptop like you did on 1803 but now your running 1909. The motherboard bios controls the clocks and voltages so no damage will be done. I hope this works for everyone. I am writing this message on 1909 with the intel and nvidia chip enabled. I hope others have the same success as I have had with this adjustment.  Of course if you are within warranty then have the mainboard or laptop exchanged.

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-29T16:33:41+00:00

    Have received the laptop today. They exchanged the mainboard.

    Have been playing games and tried all the usual things that made it BSOD, until now everything works as expected.

    So it seems it was the mainboard. Most likely the newer versions of Windows 10 handles the Nvidia Graphics differently, maybe less of a margin for error and thereby pushing the card to its limits and beyond. Everything else is the same, so still the original Acer Nvidia driver on Windows 10 1909. Next thing to try will be an upgrade of the Nvidia driver.

    So, my recommendation: If within warranty have the mainboard exchanged ASAP.

    It's been several days, haven't you had bsod again after changing the motherboard?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-28T21:05:56+00:00

    I get much the same thing with an ASUS UX331UN. I've disabled NVIDIA. I might try re-enabling it in a few months but, to be honest, the performance of the Intel drivers is more than good enough.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-12-22T16:23:32+00:00

    check acer driver support page they updated it to 10.25.0.10 and i am talking about the intel audio driver.do not mix it up with intel graphics driver version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments