Instructions & support for de-installing Windows 10 and re-installing it

Anonymous
2019-06-16T00:18:25+00:00

Hello,

After lots of good help from several people, we've decided that my Windows 10 is corrupted, and it's causing the following issue:

     - Entering keyboard data into a 3rd party app.  (and even into Microsoft Word sometimes) causes the 1st two characters to be NOT typed into the App.

       and need to be re-typed.

All attempts to fix this have failed.       I have made nightly backups made of all my personal data.

Can someone in the Community send me the precise set of steps I need to follow, to successfully de-install and re-install the O/S ?

And could that same person help me during the process, with any questions or problems I encounter ?

Thank you,

Gary

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-18T01:08:36+00:00

    David,

    Got very deep into the process this time, and have some questions.

    #1)  On the original version of the O/S, I purchased this PC with Windows 7 Home Premium edition.

            So do I select "Windows 10 Home" now ?

    #2)  The Installation process asks me:  Where do I want to install Windows 10 ?

           And then from the following list......

         - Drive 0  Partition 1  System Reserved

         - Drive 0  Partition 2

         - Drive 0  Partition 3

         - Drive 1  Partition1  DBR_Boot

         - Drive 1 Partition 2  Backup-2TB

         - Drive 1 Partition 3  DBR_Boot

         .........I'm asked what do I delete from those choices ?

    Your instruction says:   FOR EACH PARTITION, SELECT DELETE.

    PLEASE CONFIRM THAT YOU WANT ME TO DELETE ALL SIX PARTITIONS ABOVE.....OR A SUB-SET ?

    That 2TB drive is where all my files are backed up.   I don't want to delete it, cuz then I'll lose everything....

    Please send me the specific next steps .....Thanks !

    Let's recall my original problems:

    **(A)**My Windows 10 O/S appears to have gremlins in it, that are causing an unacceptable App. issue.  When I enter keyboard data into my App's. data entry windows.....(something) makes the first 2 characters NOT get entered....only characters #3 and beyond are entered and appear in the App's data field.

    Corrective action is to delete the entered data, and do data entry again.   Then, ALL characters are entered.   Bizarre.

    This process has been occurring every day for many months.

    (B) Upon returning to the PC after a few hours, and entering data......the App. NEVER works.  TASK MANAGER  shows "App. Not Responding".   Then, waiting for approx. 2 minutes......the App. is "released";  it starts to use CPU cycles, and I can do data entry again....This process has been occurring every day for many months.

    MalwareBytes' senior tech. support guys have spent many hours creating and reviewing custom logs, and they are confident that their malware is NOT involved in these strange things above....

    They feel, as do experts in the Community, that my Windows 10 O/S is "corrupted."

    Do you agree ?    Are we doing the right stuff to fix these bizarre issues ?

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2019-06-17T21:42:24+00:00

    Hi Gary

    It will not be USB Floppy what needs to be top of the list'

    It will be either USB Storage or USB HDD that should be moved to top of the boot order list . . .

    No, do not disconnect your hard drive, you need that connected in order to install Windows . ..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-06-17T21:38:17+00:00

    Oh, and I checked all the settings on UEFI BIOS.    All settings were correct, per your instructions.

    Why is this seemingly easy step so difficult ?

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-17T21:36:28+00:00

    Hi David,

    I can't get the PC to boot from the USB bootable flash drive on the PC.   After I do the Boot Order list change (as below), I shutdown the PC and then re-start it.   The PC boots into Windows 10, like normal.....it's not changing its Boot source....

    I changed the Boot Order in the Boot Order list, and put the "USB Floppy" at the top of the list

    That was chosen because the other USB choice is named "USB Storage", and the BIOS screen references my Western Digital

    2 TB Ext. Hard Drive .

    Or is the Flash drive considered a"USB Storage" device by the BIOS, and I should disconnect my 2 TB EHD....?

    And should I put "USB Storage" at the top of the Boot Order list ?

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2019-06-17T15:43:53+00:00

    Hi Gary

    Insert that installation media into your PC

    Then start your PC

    On the Manufacturers logo screen, repeatedly press F2 that should boot you into BIOS

    If it does not, try F10 or the Del key

    Then once in BIOS, find the boot order list and move the installation media to the top of that boot order list

    Save those settings (usually F10) and restart to begin the installation . . .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments