Microsoft Refund Scam

Anonymous
2019-02-01T23:00:33+00:00

Received numerous phone calls from the following phone number 1-844-386-8965 stating that because Microsoft was no longer going to provide technical support, that I was entitled to a refund.  Today, I decided to call this pestering caller.  When I asked how much the refund was, the gentlemen with an Indian accent said that the refund was $300.00.  He request that I start my computer and that we could proceed with moving forward with getting the refund.  He wanted to get access to my computer.  He said it would take about 15 minutes to get this refund process done.  I told him that I did not have time to stay on the computer for 15 minutes since I had an appointment.  He said he would be glad to call me back at a time that I specified.  I said good bye and have not returned their call.  I caution anyone receiving this type of phone call that it is very likely a SCAM.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-09T23:23:20+00:00

    Suffice to say this thread has run its course, so will be locked.

    FYI:

    You might think a call is coming from New York, etc. but numbers are easily "spoofed".

    And a lot of these calls originate from countries outside of Western Law Enforcement, so they can't be caught.

    If you want to report it:

    This is the advice given to anyone who has any phone calls, etc. like this about Malware, License Expiry, Refunds, etc..

    And your machine does not send out messages to anyone saying that it has problems or is infected with Malware, etc.

    We all have errors and warnings in our event viewer, which is another ploy they use to scare you

    These so-called "Microsoft" Tech Companies either want to sell you worthless software, or gain Remote Access to your Computer to try and steal your Banking and Credit Card details and to also carry out an Identity Theft on you.

    You are the only one who knows if you have given them Remote Access.

    If you have given them Remote Access and if you do Internet Banking, contact your Bank, explain it to them and change Passwords.

    If you use your Credit Card online, cancel it and get a new one issued to you.

    And the only way that you willl know that you are free of them is to save your Data and do a clean install of your Operating System.

    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

    And Microsoft does not contact you, unless YOU have made prior arrangements with them to do so.

    There is a section in the link I am supplying you about this at the end of it

    Read this Microsoft Information:

    "Avoid tech support phone scams"

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

    Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

    Here are some of the organizations that cybercriminals claim to be from:

    • Windows Helpdesk
    • Windows Service Center
    • Microsoft Tech Support
    • Microsoft Support
    • Windows Technical Department Support Group
    • Microsoft Research and Development Team (Microsoft R & D Team)

    Report phone scams

    Cheers.

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-28T22:06:25+00:00

    yep check first with microspft

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-06-28T16:45:21+00:00

    We really need to speak to our Senators & Congressmen about fixing this. This is what is great about this website. Sharing the phone numbers & experiences can make more people aware. We are putting the bad guys on warning & letting them know we are on to them.

    Let your friends know about this website! The more informed the more we can help others be informed of these scams.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-26T16:18:04+00:00

    I keep receiving the same call. 833-244-4125

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-06-22T03:59:38+00:00

    Hi deeannturnmire,

       NICE!!! I am glad you did not fall for it. I hope karma gets them all.

    Do not take any wooden nickels.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments