Microsoft Refund Scam

Anonymous
2019-02-01T23:00:33+00:00

Received numerous phone calls from the following phone number 1-844-386-8965 stating that because Microsoft was no longer going to provide technical support, that I was entitled to a refund.  Today, I decided to call this pestering caller.  When I asked how much the refund was, the gentlemen with an Indian accent said that the refund was $300.00.  He request that I start my computer and that we could proceed with moving forward with getting the refund.  He wanted to get access to my computer.  He said it would take about 15 minutes to get this refund process done.  I told him that I did not have time to stay on the computer for 15 minutes since I had an appointment.  He said he would be glad to call me back at a time that I specified.  I said good bye and have not returned their call.  I caution anyone receiving this type of phone call that it is very likely a SCAM.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-17T20:05:26+00:00

    I received a call today from1-844-232-3765 and it was a man with an Indian accent telling me I was owed a refund from Microsoft because I wasn't getting the services I was supposed to. I informed him I had payed nothing to Microsoft so I wasn't owed anything, he said it was part of my purchase price for my computer. He wanted me to get on my computer and let him in. I played along till I could look it up then when I saw this thread I read it to him and told him to go scam somebody else cause he wasn't getting me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-21T22:03:37+00:00

    Well, it May 21 now and they're still at it. I got a call this morning- from a Hindu lady-who said MIcrosoft no longer in business and offering a $399 refund 

    I hung up without answering  While I could use the money,  I have no need for another scam.   There oughta be a law...

    It not a new thing; they have been doing it for many, many years in many forms.

    And you would not have got any $

    Most of these scams originate from countries that are outside western law enforcement jurisdiction.

    And if you see a local phone number they appear to be calling from, the numbers are "spoofed"

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-28T17:27:17+00:00

    My call was a recording  - Patricia Pender she said to call a 1800 number that I have a refund coming to me

    as the company has gone out of business. She has tried numerous times to get in touch with me. I have not made any purchases. My computer is a couple of years old. So I knew it was a scam! But they call me 3 to 4 times a day. I am afraid to call the number they gave me because than they will know they got to me. I do not want the calls to pick up in the amount of calls. I have blocked the numbers and another number pops up with the same message. I have reported it This is harassment and annoying! I would like to call that number with an Airhorn handy. -- The number they called me from was 866-260-0275. Do not bother answering  if you get this number.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-12T23:01:01+00:00

    hi,

    I too have been getting robo calls from a Kathy Jackson, giving me a phone number, 888-587-1362 to call for my refund. I had a few mins to burn, so I called, started down the indian mans request to go to qsupport.us and download an executable.

    that's where I stopped the bus. I told him, that I work in the security field for and IT company and we regularly train our employees not to do this. I told him that if he wanted to give me money, he could send me a check or send money to paypal. he said that he was in a hurry and that they could not do that. so I told him, that I don't recall ever paying for computer support, as I don't need it. I've been building computers for 20 years. I asked him to take me of their call list, and yet, they called again. and again.

    damn you Kathy Jackson!

    ;-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-06-12T20:20:31+00:00

    Today I received a call from a man with an Indian accent claiming to offer me a $299.00 refund for tech support as they were going bankrupt. I bought this pc 6 years ago and the service agreement was only 4 years long. They wanted me to give them remote access to my pc. I played around with him being unable to give a good excuse why Microsoft didn't email me about this as they have my email address. Despite his poor attempts to rebuttal me and very poor English, he decided to finally hang up. I pray no one out there falls for this scam. The phone number their using is 775-234-0654 which is a Nevada number but he claimed to be in Utah!!!

      DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments