Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer.

Anonymous
2018-12-20T03:19:25+00:00

I can't play any video or audio and I get the above message when I try to play Youtube video. Rebooting temporarily resolves the problem.

______________________________________

Hey everyone! I found a fix. Are you all using an adblocker? That turned out to be the problem. I did not get the error again after whitelisting Youtube. However, I renabled it because reloading the page and getting back to where I was before was faster than watching a 0:05-0:30 ad. At the beginning. Maybe twice. Then in the middle. And one at the end. PLEASE TRY THIS BEFORE POSTING A REPLY. xd

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-12-23T03:45:05+00:00

    I unplugged my headphones and plugged them back in and the problem was gone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-05T00:56:09+00:00

    Windows 10 Home, Version 1803, OS Build 17134.523. ASUS X542U-SH71-CB.

    I got the same thing all of a sudden. When I went on YouTube, it said "Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer." I couldn't hear any audio from anything else on my computer either, even though I turned up the speaker volume. I tried plugging in and unplugging my headphones several times, but still no audio.

    This is the first time that this happened for me. The only thing I did out of the ordinary recently is that I started up Skype through Start Menu > Apps > Skype (I don't usually use it). Not sure if related.

    Restarting the Audio Service fixed the audio problem for me. Task Manager > Services > Audiosrv > right click > Restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-12-20T03:23:29+00:00

    Hi Lasagna

    What is the exact make and model?

    Open Start, type: system information

    Hit Enter

    Click System summary

    Look in the right pane

    Copy the system sku info into reply here.

    See example: https://imgur.com/qzektpA

    What is the exact make and model?

    Open Start, type: system information

    Hit Enter

    Click System summary

    Look in the right pane

    Copy the system sku info into reply here.

    See example: https://imgur.com/qzektpA

    First, run the Playing audio troubleshoot - open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

    Scroll down, select Playing audio

    Click Run the troubleshooter

    When complete, restart your computer then check if audio is working again.

    Press Windows key + X

    Click Device Manager

    Expand Sound, video and game controllers

    Right click your audio adapter

    Click Properties

    Click the Driver tab

    Is there an option rollback?

    If so, click it.

    Also, check to make sure the audio driver is fully updated. This is often the problem when you upgrade to a new version of Windows 10. Sometimes reinstalling the latest available driver from the manufacturers website helps.

    Open Start, type: change sound card

    Hit Enter

    Select the Playback

    Right click your Speakers

    Click Set as Default Device if it isn't already

    Select your speakers

    Click Properties

    Click the Levels tab

    Use the slider to adjust level

    Other options:

    1. Play a youtube video with the soundcard speaker jack unplugged and let it play through the laptop's inbuilt speakers.
    2. While it is playing, plug in the audio jack and see if it starts playing.

    Which version of Windows 10 is currently installed? See how to verify:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

    Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-12-30T16:02:41+00:00

    I am having the same problem, began a few months ago, but only a few times.  But in the last 2 weeks it happens more and more frequently, which is really annoying. This happens when listening to iTunes, playing YouTube videos, and when using the built-in audio player.

    Lately, restarting temporarily (ie. 20-30 seconds only) fixes the problem.  From this thread, I see many others are having the same problem.  What's up with this?

    I have a Dell Inspiron  15 7000 series laptop which is about 2 years old, with latest (?) of Windows 10.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions to fix this

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-04-15T11:41:53+00:00

    Can't visit because we are faced with a "Audio renderer error" ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments