Windows 10 version 1809 update - Slow Context New Submenu & Menu Items Missing

Anonymous
2018-10-10T23:10:23+00:00

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

After the 1809 update I've found that all the PCs I have applied it to so far have the same symptom of very slow access to the New submenu in Right Click Context menus. It seems when you first open the right click menu and scroll to the New submenu there will be a long delay before the submenu opens which freezes the Context menu. Once the New submenu opens you can roll the mouse cursor on and off the submenu and it will close and re-open quickly, but as soon as you allow the Context menu to close and try the re-open it the problem returns. It appears to be some problem with background enumeration of the menu. 

I also notice on a couple of machines the New submenu now contains far fewer items after the 1809 update. Some of the systems have a lot of software installed so usually have a long list in the New submenu, others are basically vanilla content machines for browsing and just have the defaults with Office 365.

This happens over the desktop or in any open Explorer window.

The five machines I have upgraded are from a variety of manufacturers(Dell, Acer and Asus) using different processors(new and old), graphic cards(AMD, Nvidia and Intel), etc., etc., so it seems it is not associated with any specific hardware. I have had no other obvious problems with the 1809 update.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-12-11T11:51:58+00:00

    I have exactly the same issue. All of the context menus seem to behave fine except for the "New" menu. That one takes at least 15 seconds, which seems like an eternity when you just want a context menu. I tried the latest build for Windows 10 1809, which is Build 17763.168 (Dec 5, 2018) and it did not fix the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-17T13:41:07+00:00

    Same issue here for a month now, i was waiting the next update to see if that could help but it wasn't at all, i rest the windows after that i reinstall and i didn't see any changes, i hope Microsoft see this and trying to figure out

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-16T22:18:59+00:00

    I agree, the problem remains, I applied the update/patch straight away in hope but no luck.

    Also I've now found many legacy 32 bit programs broken.

    After the re-release for the programs I've tried to re-install, clean install, repairs, the slow menus and broken 32bit Apps remain.

    And to ensure it's not machine specific I repeated this on different hardware as listed in the opening post, but the problems are consistent and nothing is fixed. It's really a horror story.

    For the OS side of things, I've even downloaded fresh and tried an in place upgrade. As well as running DISM, SFC, etc., etc..

    It's so sad really, Windows 10 Pro was so good, it just worked, and now it's broken! I suppose heads may eventually roll for this, so many people I talk to who are on 1809 are reporting much the same, but that doesn't mean it will ever be fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-16T21:39:23+00:00

    So even if it was pulled back, I decided to wait, because this was my only problem with 1809.

    But now that it's been re-released and we had a new cumulative update.

    this is still not fixed. Can we have news on this?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-10-10T23:14:43+00:00

    Hello CPCFREAK,

    1809 build is no longer available for updating and removed from downloading page for further investigation and fixes.

    If you can use your device as normal just wait for a new fixed updated.

    If issue makes your work not comfortable:

    1. You can use Go back option and return to the 1803
    2. You can reset OS and update, you will get 1803 in the end
    3. You can clean reinstall 1803, now only this build is available for installation

    Notes: always do back-up of important data

    We are all waiting for more info about 1809 and fixes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments