Blue screen after upgrading HDD with SSD

Anonymous
2018-10-18T21:53:48+00:00

Hello community members,

I have a toshiba satelite L850 1DV and I though to upgrade it with an SSD and additional RAM. The RAM so far was OK working perfectly with the old toshiba HDD, to be expected as it was suggested by the retailer from whom I bought the laptop.

But the Patriot Burst 240 GB SSD that I choose has made me crazy. It keeps freezing my laptop every now and then and giving me a bluescreen and whatever I try doesnt work.

Firmaware is updated, checked the patriots tool, I have installed Intel RST and disabled LPM, have changed the advanced power settings, have disabled disk indexing and all the things that come as solutions in a google search for that matter. Have checked the disk for errors through cmd and patriots tool. Also please note that I have kept me old HDD as second drive for more space through a HDD optical disk caddy.

So could anyone please help and give me any insights because I need to be able to work and save files on this laptop for my studies.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T12:33:25+00:00

    I did set bios to default and the sata mode remained ahci and windows booted like normal(didnt reinstall them), but the freeze and bluescreen happens again. Two weeks before had my hdd and everything was working fine since then havent tried it again.

    About the dump files has it to do with the size of the paging file? right now 1920 kb is it enought should I change it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-10-19T12:05:24+00:00

    I would set the bios to default and reboot, see if windows boots. Check the setting for ACHI after setting default (see if its changed) and if you need to then reinstall windows. Make sure you select to delete all partitions (using Custom install) so that windows is a clean install as it would have been on the initial installation to the SSD.

    I assume you have tried the HDD again just to be sure that it's still OK.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T11:43:37+00:00

    No I havent tried that.

    If you ask if its AHCI or IDE thens its AHCI.Though in the bios the settings options are AHCI and compatibility. But I tried to install windows with mode set to compatibility and the same thing again freeze and blue screen.

    Shall I setup bios to default ? And then install windows again or not?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-10-19T11:30:41+00:00

    Have you tried resetting bios to default.

    What mode is the SATA set to in the bios.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T11:19:39+00:00

    I did that still nothing after a blue screen. Shall i give you something from the event viewer or it has to do with the paging file settings?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments