Media Created property not showing-disappeared and cannot be set. Error 0xc00d3e8e

Anonymous
2018-05-20T20:22:39+00:00

Ever since the last major windows 10 update, I cannot set a date at the Media Created property of any of my mp4 files. Every time I try to do it, I get an error code 0xc00d3e8e along with a message telling me that "The property is read-only". To add insult to injury, it seems that all my mp4 files have somehow lost the said date, tediously set by me previously.

What is wrong with you Windows guys????? How do I get back my hard work of archiving my media files???????

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-02T11:45:23+00:00

    It looks like your computer is still running on version 17134.48. I would like to inform you that Windows 10 version 17134.81 has been released last May 23rd. Please update your computer to the latest build and see if the issue will persist.

    You can check for updates by pressing the Windows and I keys simultaneously then click on Update & Security. Under Windows Update, click on Check for updates.

    Update us on the result.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-01T16:55:01+00:00

    Thanks for the update. To isolate the issue, please answer the questions below:

    • What's the current build and version of your Windows computer? Please type in winver in Cortana to determine the current build and version of your Windows computer.
    • Are only .mp4 files are affected? What about other file formats?
    • Do you have full permissions on the file?

    For now, let's create another user account and see if the issue will persist. Click on this link on how to Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.

    Let us know how it goes.

    • Current build: Windows 10, Version 1803 OS Build 17134.48
    • mp4 and mov files are definitely affected. wmv ones are still acting normally, retaining all set properties and still subjected to change at will.
    • Always had before. Why should that had to change somehow? Anyway, being the only user of my pc I have an administrator account and the administrator group still has full control as I see in the security tab. On the other hand, any account belonging to the "user" group, seems to have only Read& execute, and Read privileges only.

    Now, do I have to go through creating a whole new account? I definitely don't want to have any more user-stuff clutter on my system disk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-01T14:44:38+00:00

    Thanks for the update. To isolate the issue, please answer the questions below:

    • What's the current build and version of your Windows computer? Please type in winver in Cortana to determine the current build and version of your Windows computer.
    • Are only .mp4 files are affected? What about other file formats?
    • Do you have full permissions on the file?

    For now, let's create another user account and see if the issue will persist. Click on this link on how to Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-31T17:48:52+00:00

    Unfortunately, the problem is persistent with the last major windows 10 update and it seems that no one is addressing it. All my mp4 files have lost their "media created" property - set before with lots of effort by myself - and any attempt to reset that property back, leads to the aforementioned error that "the property is read-only".

    It's a major error and bug caused by irresponsible programming as far as I am concerned.

    I am really looking seriously into abandoning windows platform altogether after that. We are talking about years of work here - both on my personal files and on general ones.

    Such a shame. With no response to such a serious and fundamental messing around with peoples' files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-31T17:41:14+00:00

    Hi John Janus,

    I have noticed that this thread has been idle for some time now. I would like to know if you're still encountering the issue and needs assistance.

    I will be waiting for your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments