Regular updates are particularly rough on two types of user:
1- people who continue to use hardware that is no longer supported by the manufacturer; and
2- people who, for whatever reason, aren't proficient at using a computer.
Your impression does not quite agree with my experience. I have seen several fairly recent machines, used for nothing other than MS Office applications, that got badly damaged by automatic updates. Some became unbootable, some kept locking up. Recovery is often impossible for these reasons:
- Automatic Updates routinely deactivate System Restore. Why does MS give us this useful tool, then keeps deactivating it?
- If System Restore points are available, they often do not work. I had two of them this morning.
- Image Restore often fails to work too which is probably why it is now a deprecated tool. Apple Mac users stare in wonder, thinking of their Time Machine.
- Undoing an update, if at all availabe, often fails too, going by forum reports.
In view of this poor track record I have now installed Macrium Reflect on all client machines. It updates its system file image once every month. I should not have to do this.
To the OP: To disable automatic updates, deactivate these two services, then reboot the machine. Note that you will no longer get any virus pattern file updates.
- Windows Update
- Windows Module Installer