windows 10 - desktop unavailable after updates

Anonymous
2018-05-15T08:51:05+00:00

Hi

Trying to start my pc and get this message:-

Location is not available

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If this location is on this PC, make sure that the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure that you're connected to the network or internet, then try again. If the location still can not be found, it might have been moved or deleted.

Can someone please advise how to fix

Thanks

DannyDay1

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-05-15T08:53:10+00:00

Hi Danny, can you get into Windows File Explorer?

If so:, open Windows File Explorer

On the View Ribbon, check the box marked 'Hidden Items'

C:\users\Default\

Right click and copy the Desktop folder contained in the Default Folder

Navigate to: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile

Right click and Paste the Desktop folder into the systemprofile folder

Restart (not shut sown) your PC

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-23T16:44:39+00:00

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-01-10T01:17:38+00:00

    That's great news - a gift from the computer gods for some good deed you must have done long ago. They just remembered it, I guess, after punishing you for something more recent. Your impulse to backup files is correct. Here is what I post about Windows System Image Backup...

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point-with-external-drives/803b8698-5049-46bc-8214-9a128223dc37

    Restore Point with External Drives

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-01-09T20:53:26+00:00

    Update.. well. I just dodge a bullet there. 

    I did a last shut down of my pc. So that i can rollback the first version of windows in this PC. Then waiting half an hour to boot to the user sign in and signed back. My desktop was just magically came back. I just didnt know what happened i just shutdown and power up my PC. I didnt do anything on those cmd's and config's. I tried testing all my drivers and it all works fine. my datas are still intact in my drive .  . . 

    But still Thanks anyway. .

    I'll just have to back up all my data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-09T20:21:34+00:00

    Hi pcr. I understand your steps . But when i click task manager nothing happens tried clicking it many times still none. I tried the 2nd option and i managed to copy the default in the users. But my problem is that when i enter in system32/config and allow permission. It doesnt let me enter. 3rd option is go into system32/cmd and still can't let me enter the command prompt. Then i go to the folders properties - security so that i can allow myself to grant full control of it but It says.

    "Can't open access control editor the device is not ready"

    Is there any other options for this?? 

    If not .. .. Welllll i have no choice and it sucks to say that i need to use the shift-restart option. :((((((

    I'll just have to say goodbye of my saved works

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments