Home network computers aren't shown in Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2018-06-24T06:56:05+00:00

I have two laptops A and B. They were connected wirelessly through my router on a HomeGroup and it worked fine. In the latest Win 10 upgrade the HomeGroup has been deleted and since then I have had terrible trouble connecting them.

I hibernate the laptops each night. When I open them in the morning, Laptop A can see and access laptop B in the Network folder of Windows Explorer. But laptop B doesn't always see laptop A and I can't get it to see it (not even by putting \laptopnamein the address bar).

Sometimes laptop B does show laptop A but when I try to access it I get a 'Windows can't connect" message.

I have tried all the sharing, credential and other options to make sure they are all consistent - nothing changes.

The ONLY way I have found for laptop B to access A is to restart laptop B (NOT A). Then it will automatically connect to A.

How do I get back to the old HomeGroup system of both computers accessing one another automatically when I wake them up?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

67 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-25T22:36:55+00:00

    It would appear that your modem is not keeping your computers on a static IP address for your LAN. Therefore windows ends up using the wrong IP address/computer name to resolve the connection.

    Most modem/routers keep a static IP to computer name or MAC address table so that whenever a particular MAC address/computer name disconnects and reconnects it always receives the same IP address on the Local Area Network. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. It depends on the specific modem/routers setup.

    What worked for me was getting into my modem/routers settings page and making sure it kept a static IP address for each computer. To get to the modem/routers setup page you have to be connected to the router and enter a specific IP address. It varies by manufacturer. Look up your model's info on the manufacturer's website. Some modem/routers will have a sticker with the info attached to the unit, itself.

    Once you get the IP addresses for your computers on your LAN to stop bouncing around and use Pauli O's tips for setting up a Table in hosts (which you have already done), you should get solid Network connections on your LAN. Anyway, that's what worked for me. Currently running Win10 1803 build 17134.112. Oh yeah, you probably have to reboot all computers and the modem/router once you get the settings changed.

    Crazy that regular users have to try all these settings and adjustments just to get home networking running.

    Good luck. Let us know how things work out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-04T02:18:53+00:00

    I have mentioned previously that your suggestions are not suitable for my situation.

    I don't believe that personal abuse is appropriate in a forum of this kind.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-03T22:24:44+00:00

    For those poor souls who have been following this, let me summarise how to get a stable Network.

    First find the computer's MAC address by hitting the Windows key, type cmd [Enter] and then ipconfig /all [Enter].

    Under "Wireless LAN Adaptor WiFi" the "Physical address" is the MAC address of that computer.

    But, convert the address from what it shows 1C-4B-D6-92-F6-6K to 1C:4B:D6:92:F6:6K (i.e. replace dashes with colons).

    Log in to the modem and go to "Advanced Setup". Change the "Start IP address" (at the bottom of the screen in mine, but maybe elsewhere in yours) to a higher figure out of the way (50?)

    Underneath that click "Add entries" and put in the MAC address and the preferred (static) IP address (say 3).

    Do that for each computer. Restart in all directions, and presto! you have a fixed IP address for each computer and the network is stable.

    No problem in turning off the modem to save power - it will reopen with all the static IP addresses.

    I found that not all computers will show in the Network window of Windows Explorer, but they can be found by putting the computer name (e.g. \Laptop) in the address bar. Another alternative is to construct a short cut on the desktop or elsewhere. Software on one computer can also open a file on another computer that way.

    I still find it unbelievable that Microsoft can just abolish the Homegroups and leave everyone with days of investigation to get a stable network.

    Real black mark, MS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-03T00:29:55+00:00

    I'm really sorry you keep getting conflicting advice. Here are a few things I know.

    I am not a networking expert.

    I have three computers networking on Wi-Fi through a sub modem/router hooked up to my internet provider's main modem/router that has its own built-in Wi-Fi. I choose to not use the internet providers Wi-Fi for networking my computers because it serves my wife's home-based business. 

    Two of my networked computers are Win10 1803 build 17134.112, The other is a Win 7 laptop. Along with a bunch of other devices like phones and tablets and all the other stuff in the house that has internet connections.

    After following all the steps in Pauli O's post and after making sure the sub-router gives the three computers the same address every time (a static address on the LAN) I can shut down all the computers and the sub-router whenever I need to. My sub-router was not the type that automatically gives a static LAN address to each device every time. I had to set that manually in that router. Now I can boot-up all the devices in any order. I can have different devices come on and off the sub-router. My Network connections and sharing between the three computers have been stable for the last two weeks.

    I can also leave the Wi-Fi connection on the sub-router and connect to the main internet providers Wi-Fi connection and use the computer for business use with my wife's computers. They are all Win 7 computers. When I'm on that main Wi-Fi connection, I cannot network with my other two computers since they are on a different section. That is how it is supposed to work.

    When I then leave that Wi-Fi connection and return to the Sub-router's Wi-Fi I have good solid networking connections and sharing between all three computers again.

    This is my rather complicated home network. It is working well now.

    Take my posting for what you will. Since I'm not an expert, it's probably worth exactly what you paid for it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-07-02T22:58:00+00:00

    Most likely the setting you are looking for is in the LAN tab and perhaps in an advanced settings area. It depends on the particular model of modem/router. If you don't have a hard copy of the modem/router's manual you should be able to find it online without too much trouble.

    Once you confirm that the modem/router isn't giving a different address to your computers every time you boot the router and computers, you will find your network will be much more stable.

    Don't feel too bad, a lot of people (even expert users), make the mistake about setting the individual computers to a static address. And as you have seen that creates much worse problems. I'm glad you got that sorted out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments