Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this hardware message during repair install

Anonymous
2018-08-24T03:20:19+00:00

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

I am trying to do a repair install of Windows 7 Ultimate which came pre-installed on the system, but every time I run windows setup, it gets 99% done, and is at the completing setup phase and suddenly pops up with a message saying windows can not be run on my current hardware. Setup then does a rollback of widows. This is absolutely ridiculous.... I am attempting to reinstall the SAME version of windows that was already on the system! Windows 7 Ultimate has been on the system since the day it rolled off the factory assembly line. I have triple checked to make sure the image I am using to do a repair install is x64. I have checked to make sure the image is not corrupted by doing a test install on a fresh drive in another PC. that time I got as far as asking for the license key before I stopped (because I didn't have a license for that PC).  I did find a support article on the dell support site surprisingly enough (why not the M$ support site too?) that said to press shift+F10 and start c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe manually. which I tried, but when I started msoobe manually, I got as far as the screen that askes me about default IE security settings, then the screen went almost black. anyone just seeing the screen might think that the backlight had just turned off. you could dimly see the dialogs on the scree showing, but not well enough to see what you could select. the only thing that was clearly visible, and proved that the backlight for the display was indeed still active, was the mouse cursor was still clear as day. I tried restarting my pc, hoping I could pick up where I left off, but windows setup did a rollback instead. I don't know if a recent update is causing this, or if it is caused by the damage to windows I am trying to repair. I have never ever, in all  my years of using windows encountered this message.  the fact that it appears to not have an error code associated with it makes it all that much harder to diagnose. what can I do?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-02T01:58:12+00:00

    Hi,

    There is a Windows Update that is supposed to remove the Win 10 Upgrade harassment stuff... At least for the original free offer... KB3184143...

    I just did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and didn't get any type of Windows 10 notifications...

    I blocked some of the Windows Updates, but I don't think anything concerning Windows 10 was on the list...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-01T20:02:25+00:00

    I like rebit because it (used to be one time fee only) it does point in time back ups of individual files, as well as system recovery images. I have used the point in time feature multiple times, to recover recover a single file or a older version of a file that got changed due to saving the file by the system ( auto saves made by some games for instance).

    I am thankful that M$ has not cut off access to windows update yet for win 7 gold. I was able to access since and download the few updates needed in order to install sp1.  Only complaint I have is m$ snuck in an update that causes a full screen nag screen that says windows 7 is outdated abridged you to move to windows 10. I don't know which update it was that snuck that in tho. 

    I actually keep some of my data off of my primary drive as well, but only because of how much of it there is. All 2tb of my steam games are on my secondary drives. With games average above 10gb or more in size, it would be a pain to redownload everything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-29T01:31:37+00:00

    Hi,

    I have had very few HDDs suddenly fail... Most start acting unusual first, as a bit of a warning... I think only one ever produced a smoke like odor...

    If you are looking for a imaging program that is a one time fee, and doesn't mess with cloud storage, you might try Acronis TrueImage running from bootable media... The Retail version comes on a installation CD that is also bootable...

    I made a ISO of the CD, and then burned it to a flash drive that is also bootable...

    I don't like to install stuff like that... It uses to many resources and stuff for the small amount of time it is needed...

    I have been using ATI 2011... I have a couple of newer versions that rarely get used... They have advantages when running UEFI Bios, but that is something I try to avoid..

    I keep my personal files, data, and etc. on a separate drive from the OS...

    Everytime I do something I don't want to need to repeat I boot with the media and save an image.. This has worked out well for me over the years..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments