Out of disk space on Local Disk (D:) - April update

Anonymous
2018-04-30T23:45:11+00:00

Hi,

I installed the new April update and since then, I’m getting a disk error:

You are running out of disk space on Local Disk (D:).

I see I have 406mb/449mb of used space, but how to fixe that?

I look into the disk, there is nothing! I tried a clean up, but there is nothing to remove.

Thx

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2018-05-01T03:22:41+00:00

Understood. I am too affected by this and used diskpart to remove the drive letter. For me G was assigned.

Right-click Start>Command Prompt(admin)

Type in the following:

diskpart

list volume

select volume 3

Replace 3 with the number of the volume which is assigned a drive letter.

remove letter="G"

Replace G with D

Don't worry, removing a drive letter would not cause any harm to your device.

Was this answer helpful?

600+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-18T15:46:05+00:00

    Why would I want to remove the drive letter? That doesn't seem to be the problem we need to solve.

    (OK, when I posted this, the rest of the replies were not there. The response makes more sense now.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-18T02:35:49+00:00

    I tried this. It tells me "Assigning or removing drive letters on the current boot or pagefile volume is not allowed."

    Edit: Nevermind, mistake on my part. Worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-06T12:09:10+00:00

    You don't even know how Windows 10 installs itself, do you?

    Are you a bot?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-01T03:18:25+00:00

    It doesn't allow me to change letter of (D:).

    From your website:

    you can not change the drive letter of the drive that the Windows operating system is installed on.

    Is it possible that Windows update created his own (D:) disk space and was installed on it? I don't want to do a clean reinstall, so I hope windows team will come with a solution to transfer (D:) into (C:).


    EDIT: From what I saw, I'm not the only one who got this issue with the new update.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8fxog1/windows_10_april_update_1803_megathread/dy80nhd/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments