Stop Windows 10 Asking me to Create a Pin

Anonymous
2018-06-08T19:27:52+00:00

I have recently re-installed Windows 10. When I installed it I was forced to create a pin. I was able to remove the pin once I'd logged on but now every time I reboot my computer Windows insists that I create a pin for it, claiming "We think you'll like it". I don't like it, I like using my password and I find this incredibly annoying and intrusive; it takes me an extra 30 seconds to log in because I have to jump through a dozen hoops to skip the pin creation. How do I disable the pin feature on Windows 10? I don't want it to ever prompt me to create a pin again.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-06-08T19:52:01+00:00

Hi Francis, this is a bug in version 1803 . . .

Cancel the PIN prompt and login to your PC

Go to Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray.

Under 'Account Protection' go to 'Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in'

Click 'Set-up', it will prompt you to set up a pin - don't.

Click "Dismiss"

After that, there should be no more prompting at startup

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T09:16:06+00:00

    Did not work and what's to prevent someone coming along and setting their own pin on my computer?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T03:20:01+00:00

    I don't have a Windows Defender Security Center icon.  Where do I find it, or how else can I eliminate this intolerable intrusion?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-10T19:52:58+00:00

    thanks, I hope it works!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-29T18:24:48+00:00

    This issue was resolved with some windows 10 update or another.

    The Surface finally stopped asking for a stupid pin.   How it is safer to have 2 passwords instead of 1 does not make sense to me ... not to mention that there was always some kind of conflict internally when accessing Microsoft portals.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments