Windows Defender - "Actions recommended" - but what are they???

Anonymous
2018-07-19T04:49:39+00:00

I have been using Windows Defender for years, and Microsoft Security Essentials before that. I haven't had any problems with either one-- but in the last day or two the Windows Defender icon in my system tray has been showing a yellow caution sign on it, and if I hover my mouse pointer over the icon it says "Actions recommended." However, when I open Windows Defender everything shows a green check and says "No action needed." How can I find out what is causing the yellow caution sign? All Windows updates have been downloaded and applied, the Windows Defender is up to date. and the last scan (which was done automatically after the caution sign appeared) shows no threats found.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-10-02T12:35:44+00:00

*SOLVED*

Log into your microsoft account and under Devices section you can see the details why this warning sign occurs.

You need to signed in with you microsoft account to do so.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-12T17:27:58+00:00

    *SOLVED*

    Log into your microsoft account and under Devices section you can see the details why this warning sign occurs.

    You need to signed in with you microsoft account to do so.

    This is the real answer. However, it tells me to enable BitLocker. I'm using "HOME" which doesn't even have BitLocker as an option.

    Disabling real-time protection and then re-enabling it has cleared it up. For now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-03T18:02:48+00:00

    I've spent months on this problem. This finally worked for me ...

    • In the system tray, right-click the Windows Security icon and choose "View security dashboard"
    • Click "Virus & threat protection"
    • Under "Virus & threat protection settings", choose "Manage settings"
    • *Temporarily* switch off "Cloud-delivered protection" and "Automatic sample submission"
    • Click "Yes" on the User Account Control prompt to confirm each change
    • Click "Dismiss" under "Cloud-delivered protection" and "Automatic sample submission"
    • The green icon should return
    • Now turn on "Cloud-delivered protection" and "Automatic sample submission"
    • Click "Yes" on the User Account Control prompt
    • Now choose "Virus & threat protection" and run a Quick scan to be sure you were not compromised by momentarily switching off "Cloud-delivered protection" and "Automatic sample submission"

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-14T15:35:32+00:00

    I found my issue, maybe it will help others. Go into the security center / click on the Shield (left side) Virus and Threat Protection. Look for Ransomware protection. I had a message about setting up OneDrive for file recovery in case of a ransomware attack. I dismissed the alert.

    More info on why you might or might not want to set this up:

    https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/5/17201660/microsoft-onedrive-files-restore-feature-ransomware-protection

    Thanks soooooo much.  this has been a major pain for a loooooong time.  Why is this answer not at the top of the thread!

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-23T12:27:22+00:00

    Good question!

    Here's an idea. Let's run it up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes it:

    How about we ask Cortana to open the Windows Defender Security Center and see what it says?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments