TLS security setting

Anonymous
2017-10-20T13:49:43+00:00

Can’t connect securely to this page

This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner.

Your TLS security settings aren’t set to the defaults, which could also be causing this error.

Good Day I am having issues,  I am getting that message when I try to register to an invitation I got from my employer

Please advise

Christine

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-03-17T19:18:59+00:00

This error is often returned for other reasons than those given. However, to ensure that you have the recommended settings for TLS, follow these steps:

  1. Press Windows key + R to open a Run box. Type control and press Enter to open Control Panel.
  2. Select Internet Options and open the Advanced tab.
  3. Scroll down to the Security section and make these selections:

If the option to Use SSL 2.0 is present, it should not be selected. 4. Click Apply and OK. 5. Close Control Panel.

These settings will make it possible to connect securely to most reliable websites. If you continue to see the same error, try again later. If there are still problems, they are most probably at the website. Use a Contact us option at the site to draw attention to them.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T16:08:54+00:00

    can I play roblox

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-22T03:12:47+00:00

    I'm having the same issue...except all of my TLS settings are chosen when I go into my internet options...this has happened once before, but was resolved somehow....I'm not sure what else do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-23T13:54:45+00:00

    I was able to finally FINALLY FINALLY fix the problem. Yes, I tried all of the TLS and SSL check marks and unchecks. 

    Automatic updates review

    Restore points

    Different browsers (FireFox, IE, Edge, Chrome)

    Resetting TCP/IP

    Resetting Winsock

    Clearing Browser History

    Changing DNS settings

    Testing TLS/SSL Browser settings on other sites confirmed all ok

    Looked at the CERT, noticed it does not cover the domain WITHOUT the WWW but didn't make a difference and imported the CERT as well. For example...

    https://domainnamehere.com instead of https://www.domainnamehere.com  where the cert only covered other variances but not without the WWW but didn't make a difference.

    Yes, tried the IP address directly avoiding DNS

    Scanned for viruses

    Downloaded Malwarebytes just in case and ran another full scan and scanned for rootkits

    Cleared DNS cache, pinged DNS name, confirmed IP was correct, confirmed DNS had the correct entry

    ...and more, etc etc etc...

    I was getting a bit frustrated and this is a fairly new install of Windows 10 just 3 weeks ago for a client and I absolutely did not want to start all over again so I troubleshot this for HOURS and took on HOURS more unbillable as I felt sorry for the client.

    The workaround is using TOR. I used a TOR browser and I connected fine. Curiosity kicked in and I continued to troubleshoot....it was the antivirus. The same AV that has been running since day one. The same AV that ran on his Windows 7 PC prior to the Windows 10 migration. Accessing the same website as he always has for many years which is a government site required for his business. No idea why it just stopped all of a sudden but once I disabled the antivirus software, it started working. 

    Sergio Caro del Castillo

    Cybershield

    “If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you don’t understand the problems and you don’t understand the technology.”

    – Bruce Schneier

    Yes... the antivirus software is the culprit in my case too... I have stopped the antivirus and everything seems to be working fine without any trace of issue.... Thanks a lot... : )

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-14T00:18:07+00:00

    on all the forums I've been on, this worked for just about everyone but me. I don't understand. I got this computer two weeks ago. I've spent hours on end trying to fix it, but nothing works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments