Pen behavior in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Anonymous
2018-01-10T12:59:32+00:00

Ever since installing the Fall Creators Update, using a pen on a tablet or laptop screen doesn’t behave as it did before.  Instead of selecting text or files, the pen now scrolls.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows ink and touch

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-01-10T13:03:40+00:00

The Fall Creators Update implements a new interaction design to better utilize the features available to most pens in the marketplace. No pen behaviors were removed, but some actions have been reassigned to make pen behave more consistently across Windows. Previously, pen tip performed a wide variety of actions, from selection to drag-n-drop to content manipulation, while barrel button function was underutilized in the system. In the Fall Creators Update, we are making the barrel button more useful by assigning it selection and drag-n-drop functionality, while making the pen tip more useful for content manipulation, like scrolling. While these changes might seem uncomfortable at first, they make pen a more versatile tool that enhances current user experience and will enable future exciting experiences. 

Although pen is most useful for inking, in places where inking does not make sense or is not yet available, pen can now directly manipulate content the way your finger does. This functionality is available to most applications, such as File Explorer, Edge, or Start Menu, where you can now scroll without the help of a scrollbar and manipulate text selection through grippers. This change eliminates the need to hunt-and-peck for UI elements and prevents users from constantly switching between pen and other input modalities.

Barrel button also gained meaning in the Fall Creators update. Now, no matter what you want to select within the system, whether it is text in Edge, ink in OneNote, or files in File Explorer, you can do it by pressing the barrel button and dragging. Drag-n-drop with the pen is just as easy – press the barrel button, grab an object with the pen tip, and drag it to a new location. 

Making behavioral changes is always difficult. To avoid confusion and bad user experience, we worked with software developers, both internal and external, to properly react to the pen changes. While we reached out to most developers that see considerable pen usage in their applications, we did not hear back from all. If your favorite application is behaving incorrectly since the latest update, please report it by emailing WindowsInk@microsoft.com and we will work with the developer to correct any issues.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-19T17:14:02+00:00

    Hi!

    Thank you so much for the registry key. I've added it, but am still having issues with pen scroll. Any tips? I imagine I'm going about it wrong.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-19T16:29:30+00:00

    Thank you so much for the Registry Key.  I am once again able to digitize my embroidery designs and thus earn my paycheck!  For a long time, I thought my pen was broken in some way.

    I can't believe you would create an OS called "Creator" then create an update that ruins the very thing and really the only thing that lets a Creator Create.  

    So confusing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-10T05:41:25+00:00

    Am I to understand, after just ordering  a Wacom tablet for the first time, that it will not work correctly either?

    If that is the case, I guess I will be digitizing on my Windows Compaq TC1000. It's the only non window tablet in this house. 

    Dear Heavens, what are we all going to do.  How many people suddenly cannot do their job? I wish I could just order a Cintiq.  

    Has anyone moved to a Mac?  The software I use for my work is supported on a Mac.  I guess I will start looking into this.  MS has known this problem exists for months now and nothing has changed.  Has anyone even heard from them?  Are they working on trying to make the change? Does anyone know anything; are they going to try to give it back to us?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-03T06:00:11+00:00

    ... No news?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments