Pen behavior in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Anonymous
2018-01-10T12:59:32+00:00

Ever since installing the Fall Creators Update, using a pen on a tablet or laptop screen doesn’t behave as it did before.  Instead of selecting text or files, the pen now scrolls.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows ink and touch

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-01-10T13:03:40+00:00

The Fall Creators Update implements a new interaction design to better utilize the features available to most pens in the marketplace. No pen behaviors were removed, but some actions have been reassigned to make pen behave more consistently across Windows. Previously, pen tip performed a wide variety of actions, from selection to drag-n-drop to content manipulation, while barrel button function was underutilized in the system. In the Fall Creators Update, we are making the barrel button more useful by assigning it selection and drag-n-drop functionality, while making the pen tip more useful for content manipulation, like scrolling. While these changes might seem uncomfortable at first, they make pen a more versatile tool that enhances current user experience and will enable future exciting experiences. 

Although pen is most useful for inking, in places where inking does not make sense or is not yet available, pen can now directly manipulate content the way your finger does. This functionality is available to most applications, such as File Explorer, Edge, or Start Menu, where you can now scroll without the help of a scrollbar and manipulate text selection through grippers. This change eliminates the need to hunt-and-peck for UI elements and prevents users from constantly switching between pen and other input modalities.

Barrel button also gained meaning in the Fall Creators update. Now, no matter what you want to select within the system, whether it is text in Edge, ink in OneNote, or files in File Explorer, you can do it by pressing the barrel button and dragging. Drag-n-drop with the pen is just as easy – press the barrel button, grab an object with the pen tip, and drag it to a new location. 

Making behavioral changes is always difficult. To avoid confusion and bad user experience, we worked with software developers, both internal and external, to properly react to the pen changes. While we reached out to most developers that see considerable pen usage in their applications, we did not hear back from all. If your favorite application is behaving incorrectly since the latest update, please report it by emailing WindowsInk@microsoft.com and we will work with the developer to correct any issues.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-18T12:53:12+00:00

    I had to sign up to the Insider's program to get a newer build. It seems that from build 17xxx on they added a Registry key that can revert the pen behavior to Legacy. You have to add the key manually.

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen]

    "LegacyPenInteractionModel"=dword:00000001

    I think the whole thing is a big mistake that will force another step back for creative Surface users.

    An active pen can be a powerful tool for creative people. I realized that years ago, and my first notebook was a tc4200 Tablet pc which didn't even have touch, and that is before iPads and tablets.

    Ultimately the tablet pcs failed Creators to favor business users, for which the pen is just a fancy, cool and eventually disposable accessory, but of course they got the money and they got the numbers, so they were a far better target than artists. The Tablet Pc line eventually died, and reincarnated years later as the Surface. And the same mistakes came back.

    The potential of the Surface line to become the ultimate creator's machine is brilliant, but the facts have proven otherwise. Microsoft seems to be always looking for ways to make creative tasks harder to favor people that just need an expensive internet browser.

    Most people don't draw, scribble, paint, compose music, design, lay out, edit video, animate. Most people are not ”creators” and there's nothing wrong about that. What is wrong is to give a forced update the appealing name of Fall Creators Update when there's nothing there to favor creative users. FCU is meant to make common users feel creative, and creators feel miserable.

    It's a trap.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T12:08:39+00:00

    It does NOT need to behave like an 11th finger. There are ten of those already available for me to use, I do not need an eleventh.

    So true. These things are so obvious, how stupid the latest MS innovations sometimes are. Not only they don't have testers at all, they have no any user experience research as well. It looks like someone just wake up in the morning with a 'great' idea and there's no matter for them if it is really good, if  this idea brings a good experience to users... They don't care.They just don't ask users... These feedback features, Insider Preview... this all just doesn't work at all, because no user feedback and needs is respected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-27T15:07:02+00:00

    Okay.

    I don't know what you are talking about.

    First of all, I have Sony VAIO digitizer VGP-STD2 for VAIO Fit 15'', which worked awesome before your Fall update.

    Now flick gestures don't work at all, so I'm now just not able to use this device with the full functionality it provided before. And now I have to use your ugly redesigned touch keyboard which is once again a great buggy pain.

    I'm not sure is this kind of working in a new so-called uncomfortable way, which is supposed to be 'at first' only? I can't wait to know when exactly does this 'at first' finish?

    Obviously, this is a bug, because flick gestures were not declared as removed functionality.

    Second, if you introduce some new features, why you do this in the way which is uncomfortable for your customers, even 'at fist' and why don't you provide an option just to keep things in old working way and to turn your new so-called 'feature' happiness off?

    I don't really think the word 'uncomfortable' describes the fact that some functionality is gone because of a bug.

    And if you do consider possible bad user experience and have the understanding that this developing process is difficult, why don't you just use beta-testing process for the development period? You even have the Insider program, why you need to roll this stuff out to production?? 

    I find this to be completely unprofessional.

    I want my stylus working the way it did and I don't want to be so-called 'uncomfortable' no matter 'at first' or forever.

    The third thing, your email address was 'removed for privacy' by your firm. See your post. Any other way to contact you?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T06:11:54+00:00

    How freakin' ridiculous!

    I don't care about "uncomfortable" new methods. I just want my Pen Flicks back, not your stupid scrolling. 

    I've always had my Surface Pen flicks set up to do useful things when I'm in tablet mode, using just my Pen with no mouse connected.

    I had Cut, Copy, Paste, & Delete set up so i could easily flick to perform quick actions instead of having to "press screen, copy, press screen, paste" (for example).

    Now, since the Fall update, the ONLY flicks that work are directional ones (scroll up and down). Nothing else works for my Flicks.

    Thanks Microsoft for unilaterally TELLING me how I need to work, STOPPING me from working how I want, and giving me NO option to opt out of your downgraded functionality. 

    Please bring back Pen Flicks beyond just scrolling - It's a very useful tool for Tablet mode

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments