Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly

Anonymous
2018-03-13T12:34:08+00:00

Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

60 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-11T00:01:39+00:00

    I use Chrome and mine is doing the same thing. It has nothing to do with my homepage.  I can leave the browser open all night and a couple times a week I wake up, and find a new tab open to MSN.  I have no add-ons, etc., I have run all virus and malware scanners.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-12T06:28:33+00:00

    This is not specific to wifi, wired does captive portals as well, and even then, there need not be an actual captive portal, or even a functional network connection. I'd try the registry change as a first troubleshooting step. Then try disabling all of your network interfaces (connected or not) one by one. Those network connections don't have to represent actual physical network adapters, sometimes they're just drivers, like VPN driver adapters.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-11T10:18:34+00:00

    has anyone found the cause of this msn/default browser issue or a solution that doesnt involve a registry hack or installing a pre anniversary update of windows with windows update disabled? greg oh wise master do you understand the issue and can you actually help? it would be nice if i could keep my computer up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-23T02:38:54+00:00

    It's an older version I made a while back that I used without issue previously. Yes issue still occurs and no I don't sync. Registry hack does stop it but so does stopping windows update. Given how I use that computer I am quite happy doing just that, I also get visual display settings that the creators update removes so win win for me.                          ,

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-03-17T07:17:40+00:00

    You said your browser was being hijacked by MSN which isn't a browser but a web page.  It's somehow set as your Home Page, probably because something like Bing was added.  I told you all ways this can be removed.  If you won't follow the steps then I can't help you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments