This an altered thread there are things missing from the original. Altered by microsoft support dodgy. As an update I wiped the drive and reinstalled windows again this time I prevented windows update from running after 24hrs all good. Allowed windows update to run after creators update installed issue reoccurred. Please note I have not accessed the internet or installed any apps on that pc I have only let windows update run. This is not a browser hijacker it is something else. So now I'm going to reinstall windows but keep windows update disabled and start using it again.
Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly
Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
60 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2018-03-20T07:34:36+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-05-20T04:37:01+00:00 Look man, don't get snappy. I have the exact same issue.
Legally installed Windows Home copy activated with a legal key. NOTHING is installed on the computer other than Chrome with zero extensions. Edge has not been touched or even opened by me once.
Malwarebytes is clean. ADW scans clean. The ONLY thing this computer is used for is a file server on my local network. Uptime is currently around 5 or 6 months. I log in remotely about once a month to check up on it, and every time there's about 15 new tabs open in Edge when I closed all the tabs and Edge last time. It's a combination between something repeatedly trying to open my router config page and being unable to reach it, a random MSN.com page that does load, and multiple failed attempts to load msftconnecttest.com.
I have another HTPC that's legally running the same copy of Windows and is not doing this at all. Edge is not my default browser on either machine. My router is owned by me and not my ISP, and I have it set to reboot weekly. I don't need Windows to constantly check for connectivity. It's just incredibly annoying and none of this helpful in any way to the end user.
-
Anonymous
2018-07-05T15:28:52+00:00 I add my experience too:
In two different computer, a personal one and a work one, I have the identical issue.
I use these pcs for different purpose, i just have gaming stuff on the personal pc, nothing related to my work.
Doesn't matter which browser I'm using as default (i have opera in home one and chrome in work one), I have msn page opening.
I really will NEVERclean install my operating system for a page opening up, you should be checking what's wrong with windows making things randomly, more than trying to workaround and get things working properly.
Having a meeting with work pc, and msn opening up at the middle of presentation is NOT professional and not funny at all.
Thanks.
Riccardo
-
Anonymous
2018-03-17T05:50:30+00:00 * Merged *
Hi no matter what I have set as my default web browser it opens randomly by itself to MSN homepage. I've checked for viruses and found none, tried uninstalling reinstalling web browsers to no effect even restored my pc to an earlier time only for the issue to return. I've seen some people have altered the registry to stop this happening, but surely there is a fix that doesn't involve a registry hack? As this seems to be a windows issue I was hoping you could help? thanks
-
Anonymous
2018-03-17T13:54:25+00:00 Solved with a registry hack issue gone completely thanks for all your help.