No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

Anonymous
2017-11-17T09:57:52+00:00

I was searching for a solution to my laptop starting by itself after going to sleep mode. I've read a possible solution is disabling "Reboot" task in "UpdateOrchestrator". Unfortunately, when I try to do this I get a message: 


Task Scheduler


The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task.


OK   


I don't know how to get that permission. I opened Task Scheduler as administrator, also Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts says there is one user account and it's type is "Administrator".

I'm on the current version of Windows 10 (the newest Creator's Update or whatever it's called).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-03-13T19:46:31+00:00

I'm having the same problem and I see a solution has been found. Can you post a step by step guide?

First go here to download PsTools. Extract it to a folder on your desktop.

Open Start and type cmd. Right-click the program and choose to run as administrator.

Navigate to the folder where you extracted the tools by typing "cd C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Pstools", replace Username with your username and Pstools with the folder where you extracted the tools.

When you have navigated to the correct folder, copy the following command without the quotes: "psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc".

Open the command window and right click, choose paste. Press enter.

Navigate to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> UpdateOrchestrator.

Right click the task called Reboot and click on Disable.

The task should now be disabled.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-24T11:35:29+00:00

    It may be too late for you, but hopefully not for someone else. Change the command to:

    psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc

    I guess the file type association does not work successfully with the original, hence the explicit inclusion of the exe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-24T11:41:03+00:00

    It may be too late for you, but hopefully not for someone else. Use this form of the command:

    psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc

    I don't think you can rely on file-type association, hence the explicit inclusion of the exe file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-10T05:41:24+00:00

    Microsoft are useless and want fascistic control of your computer I cannot set up a VPN because these commies want to see what I am doing .

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-17T12:05:23+00:00

    You must grant full access for Administrators to the file that is behind this task. You will find it here: C:\Windows\System32\Tasks (or in one of its subfolders).

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments