Windows Store App Icons missing only while searching

Anonymous
2017-10-31T18:51:05+00:00

When searching for app names from the search menu in Windows 10 the icon is missing or corrupted.

The icons in the start menu appear fine.

I have tried the following:

And probably a bunch of other things I can't recall at this time. Nothing has fixed the icons.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? It appears to only be related to the search function and not the actual icons showing in the start menu.

I haven't found any way to reset the cache related to the search.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Cortana and search

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-11-13T07:55:05+00:00

That is something, David.

We'll be more than willing to look further into this. That being said, we encourage you to submit your issue as a suggestion using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item, we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help us in determining the cause and to be able to address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please re-visit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

You can follow these steps in submitting a new feedback:

  1. Search for Feedback Hub in the Cortana search field, then click the app.
  2. Click Feedback found at the upper-left part of the window, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Tick Problem, share any details you think are relevant, then choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.
  5. Click Submit once you've completed the form and monitoring.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you have submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  8. Open the item you have submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Let us know if you have further queries.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T09:37:09+00:00

    I do not have Google Filestream installed but I do use 3 apps that use overlays: OneDrive, Lima, Mozy so it might be related to the overlays. Deleting the overlay registry entries doesn't seem to help though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-18T21:01:06+00:00

    Good thought! Tried to disable "files-on-demand" for OneDrive. Rebooted. No effect. Did that work for you? 

    I also experience that Google Drive File Stream hangs and forces me to end it explicitly every time I shut down Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-18T04:34:21+00:00

    Are you using onedrive too? If you are, is it set in "Files on-demand"?

    Both onedrive and filestream are using icon overlays to indicate the sync status of files and folders. I am guessing there is a clash there that causes corruption of app icons (cache). I have no idea how to resolve that yet other than resetting PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-17T20:18:59+00:00

    Yes, I also have Google Filestream installed and I am having the exact same issue. Please update this thread if anyone finds a fix to this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments