Windows 10 - Shutdown, but user stays logged in

Anonymous
2017-10-26T11:43:26+00:00

When I shutdown Windows 10, (latest version, fully patched up to date 25-Oct-2017), I find that it shuts down without issue. However, when the PC is restarted, the last logged in user (who initiated the shut down) is still logged in. 

I noticed this when I shutdown as User 1, then restarted the PC and logged in as User 2. When viewing the 'profiles' button at the top of the Start Menu, (which shows your user picture), it showed me that User 1 was still logged in. Furthermore, when I went to shut the computer down as User 2, it warned me that other users were logged in to this computer. I had to log out as User 2 and login as User 1 to shut down the computer. 

The only way around this is to log out and then shut the PC down from the main login screen. All my users have complex passwords assigned and in all other aspects Windows 10 appears to be working correctly. 

I assume this is a feature, but is there a switch or a registry hack that allows the shut down process to log off the current user, like Windows 7 used to?

Please can someone advise? 

Many thanks 

Paul B.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy]

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-26T14:27:15+00:00

    How is this an "epic fail"?

    When you start your computer (assuming you are using your Microsoft Account) the screen will offer you a choice of sign in options (accounts) and you sign in with your own account info and password/pin/whatever.

    Yes, that will sign out anyone else who may have been logged on previously and they would (possibly) lose unsaved work. But, unless they are unbelievably thick they would have saved their work before shutting down the computer anyway so, really, any such risk is negligible.

    The same is true for local accounts. Just go ahead and sign in with YOUR password and account info.

    And when you're ready to sign out say "Hey, Cortana, sign out."

    You can also tell her to shut your device off or lock it if you're going to be away for a bit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-26T14:11:33+00:00

    Epic Fail.

    With the above solution, still locked out of the laptop until the other user logs on and logs themself off.

    So I wait for a fix and figure out a work around. Let's hope the other user doesn't have a mishap else I am locked out of the laptop!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-03T21:03:38+00:00

    The problem is that even when someone signs out, on boot it automatically goes to their desktop.  However it does the hard shutdown doesn't change that.  My wife will use her account.  She will sign out and after signing out shut down.  I have reset for a hard shut down rather than the default pretend shut down.  Push the power button and when it boots up it automatically reloads her desktop.

    The method of shutting down doesn't change anything as the problem is that it does not completely log off.  When I want to go to my desktop after she uses it, I have to wait for hers to load up, then sign out and log in.  It's pretty stupid.  7 had a straightforward system - a hard shutdown automatically logs you out for real.

    Again, even if you click on the user icon and sign out, it doesn't really sign you out.  That is the problem.  With Office 2016 Outlook, it's the opposite.  When you log in to your email, it makes you log in over and over again, and there isn't a fix there yet either, though they claim there will be one by next year.  Not only do they keep adding mroe steps, but they don't always work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T18:10:51+00:00

    That option does not exist in my system win 10 pro.  I have the same issue.  This seems characteristic of MS - make things more burdensome for users and give them no way to opt out.  Another example: Office 365 sign in used to be one step, now it's 2.  Same thiong as going from a single stage logout/shutdown to a two step one.  They do not seem to realize that this is counterproductive and going the wrong way.  They also do not seem to care about their customers and what they want.  It is typical of someone in what amounts to a monopoly position - they just do what they want regardless of what their customers want.

    Reduced control by the user, more control by MS.  Remember XP?  It was a pretty good system, so they brought out Vista.  Nobody asked for it, and it was no good.  They fixed it up getting rid of most of the problems and rebranded it as Win 7.  That wasn't too bad, but if you recall folks held on to XP as long as they could, indeed many still use it.  Same thing is happening with & so they put a feature in win update so it won't update 7 with 7 gen intels in them.  Again, forcing people off a better system into one not as good.

    Every time I turn around I find another feature that I don't like and can't get rid of.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-04T13:56:46+00:00

    Hi G.M.P.van Dam,

    Please could you post the solution here, as I cannot access the web link you provided.

    Thanks.

    PB.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments