Burning mp3 files to CD using Windows Media Player

Anonymous
2017-12-27T15:33:16+00:00

I'm on Windows 7. I wanted to delete all the files from a RW-CD so that I could burn some different mp3 files onto it using Windows Media Player. I thought that the best way to do this would be to format the CD. I did this but when I tried to burn the mp3 files onto the CD using WMP it said 'First insert a blank disc', which I found puzzling because I thought that if you formatted a CD it would erase all material on it(?)

Anyway, I did then manage to erase the files using another method and I was then able to burn some mp3 files onto it. These took up about 59MB of space on the disk. But then when I dragged some more files to WMP and tried to burn them onto the disk it ejected the disk and told me to insert a blank disk. So it wouldn't let me add more files to the disk even though the capacity of the disk is 700MB and my files only took up 59MB. Can someone advise me on this please? Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T11:51:52+00:00

    Hi Zac and happy new year - I shall probably be away from the PC a bit over the next day or so. I'm getting 'not accessible' on those links unfortunately. I thought I'd put this link in about screenshots but I obviously forgot! See if it helps....

    Screenshots 

    iTunes for Windows will burn anything providing it is added to its library.*****The main difference is that the desired tracks have to be created as a playlist first which is a bit fiddly, but then files can be burned in three ways.... standard audio; mp3 or Data... I like the mp3 format which keeps the tracks in exactly the same order as listed whereas in WMP they tend to get ordered by track number so you get all the Tr 01sfollowed by all the Tr 02s etc.  Data is useful if you need a mix of file types (mp3/ m4a).

    * https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20507?locale=en_US

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T00:34:09+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T00:30:31+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T00:26:16+00:00

    Sorry Ric, I've tried to redo the screenshots but I've only got Word Online and it won't seem to accept a document with the screenshots in from there.

    You mentioned using iTunes to burn a disc so that it would be playable in VLC. Can you do that even though the tracks you want to burn haven't been downloaded through iTunes?

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-30T18:27:15+00:00

    Maybe try again and just take part of the screen with the snipping tool...

    In the meantime, I found that using iTunes to burn a data disc did make everything playable in VLC (albeit with rather clumsy navigation...) but iTunes does close the disc so new files cannot be added to it.

    One of the drawbacks of disc technology is there are so many variables - increasingly so because there's a lot of old/unwanted blank cd stock around - many of the optical drives are not of great quality, and WMP (in particular) is not really being properly maintained so errors crop up all the time!  

    Going back to the library thing - it's nothing to do with the disc. As an example - say you had downloaded a bunch of Mozart symphonies and they went into your music library as a compilation set.

    If you then moved two symphonies into a new folder in the explorer library... that could damage the link to your WMP library, and they would not play - you'd get an error message saying "WMP cannot find the file - it may have been moved or deleted" It's been an ongoing reason for posts here over the years.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments