Burning mp3 files to CD using Windows Media Player

Anonymous
2017-12-27T15:33:16+00:00

I'm on Windows 7. I wanted to delete all the files from a RW-CD so that I could burn some different mp3 files onto it using Windows Media Player. I thought that the best way to do this would be to format the CD. I did this but when I tried to burn the mp3 files onto the CD using WMP it said 'First insert a blank disc', which I found puzzling because I thought that if you formatted a CD it would erase all material on it(?)

Anyway, I did then manage to erase the files using another method and I was then able to burn some mp3 files onto it. These took up about 59MB of space on the disk. But then when I dragged some more files to WMP and tried to burn them onto the disk it ejected the disk and told me to insert a blank disk. So it wouldn't let me add more files to the disk even though the capacity of the disk is 700MB and my files only took up 59MB. Can someone advise me on this please? Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T16:55:09+00:00

    Many thanks Ric. Well, it's a relief to know that it's VLC that's flawed in that respect and not just something I've done wrong in burning etc.

    I've tried again with WMP, following the selection of "All Music", as you indicated and this time I was able to see all the tracks which I'd burned, although not displayed in a neat list as yours are. Also, when I've pressed 'Play' they have been played in a totally random order, which is no good because they're classical tracks which go together, for example three movements of a symphony but WMP delivers maybe the second movement first, then goes maybe to another composer's work and then comes back and plays maybe the first movement of composer A. But I guess I'll just have to experiment with how I burn them. I'm guessing it's best to do them in large batches, which, hopefully, will stay together and in order when played. Anyway, thanks again for all your work. I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

    In answer to your last post: I actually don't have a DVD player.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T16:25:51+00:00

    Another thought about disc playback options - have you got a DVD player you can try it in? They often handle mp3 files...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T16:11:13+00:00

    The results are in! I think you have to rule out VLC for playing discs created in this manner. Like you, I could only get it to play one track at a time... chocolate teapot syndrome. I thought I'd check the disc in iTunes too - iTunes doesn't 'see' it at all  - probably because it is not a finalized disc. I imagine that is the same for VLC. 

    It should play normally in WMP though... here are screenshots of an mp3 disc on which I recorded all the Beatles main albums (as side 1 & 2 like the original vinyl) When first inserted, it will display this...

    Open from 'All Music' and the tracklist appears... and should play in sequence... I'll have to do the RW test burn again to see if burning in sessions affects this because by now I cannot remember which of my older discs were multi-session!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T15:46:18+00:00

    Once again, thanks for that Nic.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T15:30:11+00:00

    I did wonder about both mp3 and CD/RW compatibility... that age is borderline for RW and I rather think it may not be for mp3. I haven't tested VLC yet - I'll go and do that now and report back shortly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments