Burning mp3 files to CD using Windows Media Player

Anonymous
2017-12-27T15:33:16+00:00

I'm on Windows 7. I wanted to delete all the files from a RW-CD so that I could burn some different mp3 files onto it using Windows Media Player. I thought that the best way to do this would be to format the CD. I did this but when I tried to burn the mp3 files onto the CD using WMP it said 'First insert a blank disc', which I found puzzling because I thought that if you formatted a CD it would erase all material on it(?)

Anyway, I did then manage to erase the files using another method and I was then able to burn some mp3 files onto it. These took up about 59MB of space on the disk. But then when I dragged some more files to WMP and tried to burn them onto the disk it ejected the disk and told me to insert a blank disk. So it wouldn't let me add more files to the disk even though the capacity of the disk is 700MB and my files only took up 59MB. Can someone advise me on this please? Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-27T15:52:57+00:00

    Hi - Now you have a reply! There are a few different methods for creating a data disc so it really depends on the purpose of the finished disc. How do you want to use it? (Good that you're using RW by the way!) Cheers, R.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-27T16:47:36+00:00

    Test burn was good - I burned two mp3 albums in two sessions... both playing back nicely on my Marantz CD player...

    Two more points - you'll be asked how you want to use the disc - choose the second option (with a CD/DVD player) - and then when you start the first burn session you'll be asked Audio or Data - here you want DATA... that won't appear when you add files in a new session.

    Get back if you get stuck... Cheers, R.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-27T16:32:28+00:00

    OK - so presumably you have a CD/DVD player that handles mp3 files and you just want to be able to add stuff from time to time - is that it?

    You may be better off starting over and not using WMP for the burn... use 'explorer' instead and you can add files to the disc. Erase the disc using the method shown below (in This PC DVD/CD drive) and then add mp3 files using the 'send to' command shown in the second image. You can then use the 'Burn to disc' command in the top image (not highlighted). Note that I have not burned any files using this method for ages so I am just going to run a test burn myself to check I'm not misleading myself (or you!) I'll get back shortly...

    Click images to see full-size...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-27T16:11:52+00:00

    Hi Ric

    Thanks for your reply. I wanted to burn mp3 tracks that I've downloaded from the net.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-27T15:45:19+00:00

    Sorry, thought there was a reply

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments