High CPU usage in state repository service after clean install of Fall Creators Update while online via ethernet

Anonymous
2017-10-21T09:08:14+00:00

Why do apps including Microsoft Edge and Settings freeze when clicking on hyperlinks and make CPU usage reach 100% on state repository service after a totally clean install including deleting all partitions of the Fall Creators Update while online via Ethernet.  The only fix is to reinstall the ISO media with the Ethernet cable unplugged and wait until the OOBE setup asks for the region before reconnecting the Ethernet cable.  I have to physically unplug the Ethernet cable from the router to prevent it from accessing the internet during the first just a moment phase of the OOBE setup before the region setup.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-28T06:27:30+00:00

    I have the same issue. It appears to only occur when performing clean installs of the 1709 Fall Creators Update.

    While waiting for a fix, a workaround is to open the hamburger menu (looks like ... in the top right corner of Microsoft edge), go to settings, advanced settings, and turn off the "open sites in apps" option. This allows you to use Microsoft until a bug fix is released.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-10-29T09:25:22+00:00

    I found a simple fix for my case!

    Go to Apps and Features and find Microsoft Edge. Then click Advanced options below. I clicked Repair and then Reset.

    Now Edge does not freeze and in addition external links of applications open instantly!

    Hope it works for you

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-10-22T17:09:54+00:00

    There appears to be a bug in the fall creators update standard image.  There's a ton of users who are reporting the same thing (check reddit for example).  I think we'll need to wait for Microsoft to issue a bugfix for the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-10-22T04:20:29+00:00

    I have the same issue with multiple clean installs as long as I leave the Ethernet cable plugged in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments